Football: Northwestern adds veteran head coach Skip Holtz as special assistant

Daily file photo by Joshua Hoffman
Locals impacted by Ryan Field rebuilding look to hold Evanston and NU accountable as demolition process begins.

Northwestern hired veteran head coach Skip Holtz as a special assistant to interim head coach David Braun for the 2023 season, the school announced on Thursday. 

Holtz, the head coach for the United States Football League’s Birmingham Stallions, role will consist of “game preparation, day-to-day operations of the program and advising Coach Braun,” according to the release. The role will not interfere with his responsibilities for the Birmingham Stallions.

Son of College Football Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz, the veteran leader has a plethora of college head coaching experience with 22 seasons under his belt at the position.[CQ] From 1994, He’s spent time at UConn, East Carolina, USF and Louisiana Tech. During his tenure, Holtz posted a 152-121 record with two conference championships, 12 bowl game appearances and one FCS Playoff berth.

“I’m thrilled to welcome Coach Holtz to Evanston and can’t wait to begin working with him,” Braun said in the school’s statement. “With his many years of head coaching experience and tremendous knowledge of the game, Coach Holtz will be an invaluable resource for myself, our coaching staff and student-athletes during the upcoming season.” 

Holtz has coached the Birmingham Stallions for the past two seasons as well, putting together an impressive combined 17-3 record and back-to-back league championships. 

With Braun entering not only his first college coaching gig on the FBS level, but his first college head coaching job, Holtz brings many traits and experiences to the table. 

“I love coaching football and am passionate about leading young men to achieve their very best,” Holtz said in the school’s statement. “This is a unique opportunity to help these outstanding student-athletes and partner with Coach Braun to do anything I can to help Northwestern football in 2023.”

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES