Football: Notebook: Takeaways from interim head coach David Braun at Big Ten Media Days

Daily file photo by Joshua Hoffman
Ryan Field, the home of Northwestern Football. Interim head coach David Braun attended Big Ten Media Days on Wednesday.

Northwestern interim head coach David Braun said that after being hired as NU’s defensive coordinator in January, he only envisioned a promotion in the program if former head coach Pat Fitzgerald retired.

But after Fitzgerald’s firing on July 10, Braun, the newly-appointed head coach, had to address the media at Big Ten Media Days on Wednesday. He emphasized how far out of his comfort zone he was. 

“What we’ve experienced the last two weeks, I never could’ve anticipated something like this,” Braun said. “I’ve been fortunate throughout my career to have some incredible challenges put in front of me…and that’s where a lot of growth has come.”

After NU’s player representatives chose not to make the trip to Lucas Oil Stadium with Braun, all eyes were on the coach during his morning and afternoon press conferences with the media. The former lasted nearly 15 minutes, while the latter went for 45 minutes.

Here’s five takeaways from Braun’s midweek trip:

1. Bob and weave: Braun stays away from questions about program’s hazing allegations

Braun’s slow and steady opening statement resulted in time for only four media questions, but it didn’t stop The Athletic’s Kalyn Kahler from asking about the current lawsuits and hazing allegations surrounding the program.

However, Braun’s answer was clear. He wouldn’t speak on current allegations, saying he trusts the university’s process.

And this wasn’t just Braun’s answer in the morning, it was throughout the 45-minute afternoon press conference as well. Braun emphasized he wouldn’t comment on University president Michael Schill’s handling of the allegations, saying “I don’t plan on getting out of my lane anytime soon.”

Of course, many people want to know the head coach’s thoughts on the entire situation. But only hired in January and after last season’s end, Braun said that he can only refer back to his experiences since his hiring. 

2. Braun’s focus is clear, he’s all about the athletes

In his opening remarks, Braun expressed that his No.1 priority moving forward is to ensure the ultimate student-athlete experience for his players. This entailed making a positive impact on them, while ensuring they experience top-notch education during weekdays and elite college football on Saturdays. 

Braun emphasized this in both conversations, wanting his players to know and feel supported. Additionally, he added that his focus is the people in the facility and winning games. Braun was asked many times about the reported hazing allegations and lawsuits, and nearly each time, his answer tied back to the players, reiterating where his priorities are. 

Although NU’s name will continue to be in the news for non-football related issues, Braun made it clear that his goal this season is a Big Ten West Championship and a bowl game.   

3. Get ready for the A.J. Henning Show

When asked about NU’s newest wideout and return specialist A.J. Henning, a University of Michigan transfer, Braun couldn’t help but smile.

He had high praise for the two-time All-Big Ten player.

“We’ve got to find ways to allow that young man to touch the football,” Braun said. “Whether that’s on special teams, you know, on the offensive side of the ball, and I’m really excited about the depth in that wide receiver room.”

Braun said the offense would like to place Henning in different spots on the field so that defenses will have a tougher time tracking him.

With the departures of Malik Washington, who led the team in receiving yards and catches in 2022, and Genson Hooper Price during the offseason,[cq] NU lost two experienced route runners entering the 2023 season. Yet, Braun said he’s confident in offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian’s ability to get the ball in their playmakers’ hands, and Henning is one of them.

4. Still in contact with Fitzgerald

The upcoming season marks the first time since 2000 that Fitzgerald isn’t coaching for the Cats — longer than most past and present college coaches. 

But even without his role in the program, the former head coach will still be tied to it — as a parent. Fitzgerald’s son, Jack Fitzgerald, is a freshman tight end at NU.

Braun said he’s made an effort to connect with every player’s parents, and like the others, his conversations with Fitzgerald will stay private. This doesn’t mean Fitzgerald will still be involved with the team whatsoever, but after inheriting a program unexpectedly and having a relationship with the previous head coach, no one should be surprised if Braun and Fitzgerald are in contact.

“Coach Fitz is someone that there was a long-standing relationship with, and someone that I plan on having as a friend for for a long time,” Braun said.

5. Braun will still call defense

NU was able to fill the head coaching void quickly after Fitzgerald’s firing, naming Braun, the then-defensive coordinator, the interim head coach on July 13. 

However, the move left a different hole in the team’s staff: defensive coordinator. Braun addressed this at Big Ten Media Days, saying he still plans to call the defense. 

Braun has called the defense throughout the entire offseason, including during spring ball. To maintain the normal routine the defense established in the spring and progress in the right direction, he will still be in charge of the defense.

During the afternoon press conference, Braun did note that a defensive assistant will be hired as well.

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES