Two Northwestern professors selected as 2023 Sloan Research Fellows

Daily file photo by Katie Pach

The study screened over 320 FDA-approved drugs.

Fiona Roach, Assistant Campus Editor

Chemistry Prof. Todd Gingrich and Feinberg Prof. Ann Kennedy have been awarded the 2023 Sloan Research Fellowship, honoring their innovation and research contributions, the University announced Wednesday.

The two-year fellowship — which is awarded annually to 125 early-career researchers across seven fields — grants winners $75,000 each to advance their research.

Kennedy, whose laboratory studies theoretical neuroscience and behavior studies, received the fellowship in the neuroscience field. Her team works to develop computational models of subcortical neural circuits, which control motor activity and behavior.

Gingrich, selected as a fellow in chemistry, specializes in the dynamics of nonequilibrium systems. His group simulates chemical kinetics through the application and development of algorithms.

Kennedy and Gingrich join 117 other Northwestern faculty members who have received the fellowship since its inception in 1955. 

“Sloan Research Fellows are shining examples of innovative and impactful research,” said Adam F. Falk, president of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. “We are thrilled to support their groundbreaking work, and we look forward to following their continued success.”

Twitter: @fionaroach03