Four professors named American Association for the Advancement of Science fellows

Daily file photo by Laura Simmons

The Technological Institute. Several NU faculty were named to the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s fellows class this year.

Russell Leung, Senior Staffer

Four Northwestern professors were named fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the University announced Jan. 31.

The association, which is the world’s largest general scientific society, honored chemistry Prof. Teri Odom and Feinberg Profs. Luisa Iruela-Arispe, Murali Prakriya and Linda Teplin (Weinberg M.A. ’72, Doctorate ’75).

Odom is chair of the chemistry department and holds a materials science and engineering professorship in the McCormick School of Engineering. Her research interests include engineering materials at the nanoscale and designing nanofabrication tools.

Iruela-Arispe is the chair of the Feinberg School of Medicine’s cell and developmental biology department. Her lab specializes in vascular biology, having made pioneering discoveries in areas such as blood vessel expansion and genetic defects in vascular cells. 

Prakriya is a professor of pharmacology and medicine at Feinberg. He was among the first to identify store-operated Orai channels, a group of calcium ion channels that facilitates signals to the brain and immune system.

Teplin is Feinberg’s vice chair for research in the psychiatry and behavioral sciences department as well as a professor of medicine in infectious diseases. She has led the NU Juvenile Project, a program studying health and psychiatric needs in incarcerated juveniles and adults, for more than 25 years. 

AAAS’ 2022 fellows class includes more than 500 scientists across two dozen disciplines. The organization will formally commemorate the class in Washington this summer.

Twitter: @rjleung7