Mechanical engineering Prof. Q. Jane Wang elected to the National Academy of Engineering

Daily file photo by Ava Mandoli

The Technological Institute, which houses Northwestern’s Center for Surface Engineering and Tribology. Wang is known for her work as its director.

Fiona Roach, Assistant Campus Editor

Mechanical engineering Prof. Q. Jane Wang was elected to the National Academy of Engineering, the University announced Tuesday. 

Two McCormick School of Engineering alums, William Woodburn (MS ʼ75) and Roger Kamm (ʼ72), were also elected to the NAE’s 2023 class. 

“We are tremendously proud to see Jane recognized at the highest level in her field,” McCormick Dean Julio M. Ottino said in a University press release. “It is great to see faculty in the Department of Mechanical Engineering recognized with a string of awards that trace back to the origins of the department in mechanics and its expansion into new fields.”

Wang’s research focuses on the field of tribology —  the study of wear, friction and lubrication. She also serves as the director of NU’s Center for Surface Engineering and Tribology, and her research has furthered advancements in the aerospace, transportation, biomedical engineering and electronic and data processing industries.

Wang, Woodburn and Kamm will be formally inducted into the NAE at its annual meeting in Washington D.C. on Oct. 1.

Twitter: @fionaroach03