Two Northwestern professors named National Academy of Inventors fellows

Daily file photo by Ava Mandoli

Northwestern Technological Institute. Roozbeh Ghaffari and Daniel Martin Watterson were among 169 National Academy of Inventors fellows for 2022.

Pavan Acharya, Campus Editor

Two Northwestern professors have been elected to the National Academy of Inventors, the University announced last month.

Roozbeh Ghaffari and Daniel Martin Watterson were among 169 fellows elected in 2022, according to a University press release. Ghaffari and Watterson will be inducted with other recently-elected fellows on June 27.

Ghaffari, a biomedical engineering professor and director of translational research at the Querrey Simpson Institute for Bioelectronics, has been recognized with more than 60 patents in the field of soft bioelectronics and wearable biosensors. He is also the co-founder and CEO of Epicore Biosystems, a digital health company that has developed multiple microfluidic-enabled wearable products that track sweat for performance and health-related purposes.

“I’m deeply honored that our translational research and commercialization efforts at Northwestern and Epicore Biosystems have been recognized with this election into the 2022 NAI class of fellows,” Ghaffari said in the press release.

Watterson, a Feinberg professor, holds 39 patents and has previously won the Melvin R. Goodes prize for Excellence in Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery and the Elan Award for Novel Approaches to Drug Discovery for Alzheimer’s Disease. 

He is also a member of multiple professional societies, such as the Society for Neuroscience, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, and the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

“I am humbled and honored,” Watterson said in the press release. “I thank my colleagues for their support and wish to acknowledge the contributions by outstanding collaborators and former students over the years.”

Twitter: @PavanAcharya02