Rep. Robyn Gabel projected to win reelection to statehouse representing District 18

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta

Rep. Robyn Gabel (D-Evanston) has served in the seat since 2010, spending her time in the state legislature advocating for juvenile-related criminal justice initiatives.

Jorja Siemons, Print Managing Editor

Incumbent Democratic state Rep. Robyn Gabel (D-Evanston) is projected to win her reelection campaign to Illinois’ statehouse over Republican challenger Charles Hutchinson. With 95% of the vote, The New York Times called the race with data from The Associated Press. 

Gabel received 83% of the vote at 8:38 p.m. CST, with 95% of the vote in, according to The New York Times. Hutchinson had 14.1% as of that time. 

Gabel has represented District 18 since 2010. The district includes all of Evanston except for the 6th Ward west of McDaniel Avenue, which belongs to District 17. In the statehouse, Gabel has focused on juvenile-related criminal justice initiatives and was appointed as assistant majority leader in the new Speaker of the House’s leadership team last year. 

Her reelection campaign focused expanding Medicaid coverage and protecting abortion rights. She’s endorsed by the Sierra Club, Planned Parenthood Illinois Action and Gun Violence Prevention PAC. 

Hutchinson, who won the Republican nomination, is a private attorney and president of Wilmette-Kenilworth Chamber of Commerce. His platform has centered on pushing for stronger parental involvement in public education and lower taxes. 

Twitter: @JorjaSiemons