Incumbent Gov. J.B. Pritzker projected to win gubernatorial race

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta

Incumbent J.B. Pritzker has been projected to win a second term as Illinois governor.

Jacob Fulton, Editor in Chief

After an embattled campaign, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker has been re-elected to his role for a second term, according to the Associated Press. 

With 69% of votes reported, Pritzker received 54.7% of the votes. Pritzker is an heir to the Hyatt Hotel franchise fortune and has a net worth of $3.6 billion. His opponent, Darren Bailey, is a Republican and state Senator from Xenia, Illinois. Bailey has received 42% of reported votes. 

Pritzker reported over $80.8 million raised this election cycle — including $20 million of self funding in late September — according to Illinois State Board of Elections filings. Bailey has raised over $2.4 million as of Sept. 30.

Pritzker focused much of his campaign on his economic track record, as well as Bailey’s stance on abortion. Reproductive health care has been heavily restricted across the midwest, with Illinois becoming a sanctuary state for reproductive rights. 

The SAFE-T Act, signed into law under Pritzker, was a major talking point for Bailey. He alleged that the legislation, which eliminates cash bail, allows violent criminals to walk free. However, supporters of the act argue that the practice perpetuates financial inequities, so its implementation would level the playing field for all defendants. 

Bailey also honed in on Pritzker’s COVID-19 pandemic policies throughout his campaign. He first gained notoriety after filing a lawsuit opposing the governor’s stay-at-home mandate, and he has since positioned himself as a foil to pandemic-era restrictions, which he has said harmed local businesses. 

“We have earned the right to take pride in this state,” Pritzker said in his victory speech Tuesday night. “And I remain humbled that you’ve chosen me again to be your governor.”

Twitter: @jacobnfulton