City Council announces intent to appoint Luke Stowe as next city manager

Daily file photo by Jacob Wendler

City Manager Luke Stowe recommends waiting for more information before taking any decision regarding parking.

Yiming Fu, Managing Editor

Luke Stowe, Evanston’s interim city manager, may now fill the position permanently.

City Council announced their intent to appoint Stowe as Evanston’s city manager in a Friday news release, and they will vote to confirm him on Tuesday. 

Stowe has served as the interim city manager since July 12 and previously worked as the city’s chief information officer and interim deputy city manager. He has worked in Evanston for 10 years as well as in Lake County and Champaign County.

In 2018, Government Technology magazine included Stowe as one of the “Top 25 Doers, Dreamers and Drivers of 2018” for his work creating a new city website and open data portal.

Mayor Daniel Biss said in the news release that Stowe’s ability to collaborate with city staffers and residents made him a great fit for the position. 

“It is time for our organization to get moving again, and to do so in a way that includes and respects all stakeholders,” Biss said. “Luke is exactly the right person to make that happen. Let’s get to work.”

Stowe’s appointment comes after three failed nationwide city manager searches that spanned more than a year and cost tens of thousands of dollars. On August 2, City Council decided the latest finalist, Carol Mitten, was not a good fit for the job after dozens of residents gathered at a town hall meeting to voice concerns about her record of transparency, racial equity and policing. 

“These experiences led the City Council to determine that Evanston would be best served at this time by an internal candidate with vast institutional knowledge and broad respect from community members, City staff, and elected officials,” the news release said. 

Correction: A previous version of this article missated the places where Stowe previously worked. The Daily regrets this error.

Twitter: @yimingfuu