CTSS to host panel of acclaimed journalists

Wesley+Morris+is+a+Pulitzer+Prize-winning+critic+who+currently+writes+for+The+New+York+Times.+Morris+is+one+of+three+journalists+who+will+speak+on+a+Contemporary+Thought+Speaker+Series+panel+Oct.+26.+

Source: Contemporary Thought Speaker Series

Wesley Morris is a Pulitzer Prize-winning critic who currently writes for The New York Times. Morris is one of three journalists who will speak on a Contemporary Thought Speaker Series panel Oct. 26.

Ally Mauch, Assistant Campus Editor

The Contemporary Thought Speaker Series will host a panel of three journalists — Doreen St. Félix, Rembert Browne and Wesley Morris — at an event Oct. 26, CTSS announced Thursday.

The event, titled “Journalism in the 21st Century: Politics, Pop Culture and Protest,” will be moderated by Chicago-based writer Britt Julious at Harris Hall, the release said.

“The whole mission of CTSS is to start conversations and to start dialogue within our community,” Emmanuelle Gers, vice president of marketing and public relations for CTSS, told The Daily. “This panel is really focused on understanding their ideas and seeing where we can learn from their ideas and also how to be … more aware and understanding.”

The Communication sophomore said the panel’s focus on “modernity and pop culture” makes it relevant for the Northwestern community.

St. Félix is a writer for The New Yorker who covers pop culture, music and politics, and Browne is currently a freelance journalist who previously wrote for New York Magazine. Both St. Félix and Browne appeared on Forbes Magazine’s “30 Under 30” in media list last year.

Morris is critic-at-large for The New York Times and a staff writer for The New York Times Magazine. He previously wrote for The Boston Globe, where he won a Pulitzer Prize in criticism in 2012.

CTSS chair Ben Zimmermann told The Daily the panel will address issues that interest college-aged students.

“It’s going to be a fascinating conversation,” the Weinberg senior said. “It’s going to inspire a really interesting, relevant, timely conversation about the role of journalism and activism and linking everything that’s happening in our society to political events and social ramifications.”

Twitter: @allymauch