Women’s Golf: After slow start to season, Wildcats looks to rebound in California

Janet+Mao+putts.+The+junior+and+the+Wildcats+will+compete+at+the+Stanford+Intercollegiate+beginning+Monday.+

Daily file photo by Ben Pope

Janet Mao putts. The junior and the Wildcats will compete at the Stanford Intercollegiate beginning Monday.

Sophie Mann, Reporter

Women’s Golf

After a lackluster performance two weeks ago at the Windy City Collegiate Classic, Northwestern will look to bounce back at the Stanford Intercollegiate.

The Wildcats were runners-up at the NCAA Tournament last year, but finished ninth of 15 in their most recent tournament. Coach Emily Fletcher said the team has a chance to show they have more to offer.

“We’ve … been pretty mediocre the first few events of the year,” Fletcher said. “It’s a chance for us to step up and make a bit of a statement and end the fall on a high note.”

NU will face stiff competition against an elite field that includes Stanford and Georgia. Due to renovations to the Cardinal’s usual golf course, the tournament will be played at Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach, California.

Senior Hannah Kim said the location change puts everyone on equal footing. Kim has attended the Stanford Intercollegiate every year since she arrived at NU.

“This year is the first year that we won’t be playing at their home golf course,” she said. “It’ll be a new experience to me. It’ll be fair game to all of us.”

Junior Janet Mao said she looks forward to going to the West Coast after a disappointing home event.

Kim and Mao said the past two weeks have allowed them to hone in on improvements after a rough start to the season. Kim said she tightened her swing, and Mao said she has worked with assistant coach Beth Miller to boost her play.

Even so, the Cats will have to fight hard to assert their dominance. Fletcher said NU will need tournaments like this one to demonstrate its capabilities.

“It’s a strong field,” Fletcher said. “If you want to be the best, you have to play the best and beat the best.”

Twitter: @sophiemmann