City committee approves new restaurant serving Indian, Chinese food

The+city%E2%80%99s+Design+and+Project+Review+Committee+approved+plans+for+a+new+restaurant+to+open+at+500+Davis+St.+The+restaurant%2C+Red+Hot+Chili+Pepper%2C+is+the+second+business+under+Mt.+Everest+Restaurant+owner+Ramakant+Kharel+and+will+feature+a+fusion+of+Indian+and+Chinese+cuisines.+

Sherry Li/The Daily Northwestern

The city’s Design and Project Review Committee approved plans for a new restaurant to open at 500 Davis St. The restaurant, Red Hot Chili Pepper, is the second business under Mt. Everest Restaurant owner Ramakant Kharel and will feature a fusion of Indian and Chinese cuisines.

Rishika Dugyala, Assistant City Editor

The city’s Design and Project Review Committee approved plans for a new restaurant, Red Hot Chili Pepper, to open at 500 Davis St.

Ramakant Kharel, the owner of Mt. Everest Restaurant, hopes to open this second restaurant, offering a fusion of Indian and Chinese cuisines, in roughly three months, he said. Kharel said this would be the first Indo-Chinese eatery in the city.

“Evanston is very diverse market,” he said. “The clientele are very educated and would like to try something exciting, new. And this kind of cuisine never been introduced … I think it will be a very successful concept and my current customers are excited, positive and supportive.”

The committee unanimously voted Wednesday to move restaurant development in the space that used to house a Giordano’s, which was empty for the last three and a half years, Kharel said.

Kharel plans to replace the existing restaurant equipment, completely remodeling the 3,000-square-foot place to create seating space for about 85 people inside the restaurant. In addition to a traditional dining room, he said the restaurant will feature contemporary decor and include a lounge, a bar and, if the landlord approves, an enclosed patio facing Davis Street.

Kharel said he looks forward to expanding his business in Evanston, which he said has been a good location for Mt. Everest Restaurant for the past 16 and a half years. He said being a longtime business owner worked in his advantage with the committee.

“They know me,” Kharel said “They’re sure about there will be no violations, no misuse of privileges as a business owner because I have a clean record since I opened my first business.”

Twitter: @rdugyala822