Golf: Matt Fitzpatrick to withdraw from Northwestern to focus on amateur career

Kevin Casey, Reporter

Northwestern, currently a top-35 squad trending further upward for the spring, experienced a huge setback Thursday morning.

Freshman phenom Matt Fitzpatrick will withdraw from NU after just one quarter with the Wildcats to pursue a full-time amateur golfing career, and NU golf fans watch a potentially legendary college career end just months after it began

Fitzpatrick entered NU as the top-ranked amateur in the world on the strength of a summer to remember. The two-month block of triumph had the Brit capturing the Silver Medal for low amateur honors at the Open Championship and taking home the Havemeyer Trophy for his victory at the U.S. Amateur, one of the preeminent events in amateur golf. Fitzpatrick still holds the No. 1 amateur ranking at the time of his departure from NU.

While his time in Evanston was short, the freshman made an impact on the course. Following a slow start to his college career, Fitzpatrick pumped out top-25 finishes in his final four events of the fall. Two of those results were top-10s and one was a victory, at the Rod Myers Invitational.

By virtue of his U.S. Amateur win, Fitzpatrick has a spot secured in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship, provided he remains an amateur.

— Kevin Casey

About the Writer
Kevin Casey, Sports Editor

He has worked as an assistant editor and a reporter for the Daily in the past. He is from Duxbury, Massachusetts and has interned at Comcast SportsNet...