Women’s Swimming: Northwestern dives into another conference meet this weekend

With less than a week turn around from last weekend’s meets, the Wildcats face the Badgers this Friday afternoon at Henry Crown Sports Pavilion and Aquatic Center.

Wisconsin placed just ahead of Northwestern in the 2013 Big Ten Championships, beating the team by fewer than 50 points.

Coach Jimmy Tierney said he looks forward to the close matchup.

“Some of their weaknesses are our strengths,” he said, especially noting NU’s stronger diving team.

The coach said the Cats look the best they have yet this season. Now, the swimmers mainly focus on fine details and technique.

Tierney said it’s those details “that really make the difference when it comes to the race.”

Sophomore Ellen Anderson said she’s looking forward to the meet for a different reason. The freestyler said having the home pool advantage makes her most excited to race.

“It’s a really fun atmosphere,” she added. “We can really get the crowd into it.”

Anderson said last weekend’s back-to-back meets are not going to affect Friday’s competition. The swimmers got a rest day Sunday and focused on aerobic work Monday to loosen up their muscles and prepare for another training week.

The 19-year-old said she’ll see some tough opposition in her 200- and 500-yard freestyle races against the Badgers.

It’s going to be especially exciting, Anderson added, because she tends to back-half her races, increasing her pace in the later stretch of each race.

One of the team captains, Jackie Powell, also expressed eagerness for the Wisconsin meet.

“At home meets the feeling is electric,” she said.

However, the senior freestyler said her role in supporting the team goes deeper than just cheering loudly. During the meets and in practice she is always there to help underclassmen.

Powell added that she particularly looks out for the freshmen who are still transitioning both in the pool and in school. She said every practice and meet is a learning experience.

“(NU) will definitely approach this Friday with what we learned from last meet in mind,” she said.

Twitter: @kendra_mayer