Mayfest silent on headliner as Dillo Day nears

Mayfest wouldn’t say Wednesday morning whether it has secured a headline act for Dillo Day.

Mayfest has told The Daily it announces performers as soon as contracts are finalized, but the organization declined to comment Tuesday night on the status of contracts for Saturday’s music festival. Mayfest spokeswoman Bri Hightower said the student-run group would announce the artist in conjunction with the Residence Hall Association, a sponsor of the act.

The delayed announcement has resulted in a slew of rumors about upcoming performers on social media, which only increased after RHA promised a Dillo Day announcement Monday night only to later claim there was an “unexpected hold-up” with the contracts. The post was later deleted on Facebook but not on Twitter. Hightower would not confirm the veracity of the group’s post.

Mayfest is no stranger to speculation about performers, but over the past decade, the organization has usually confirmed a headliner weeks before the day-long music festival. The organization has not waited until the week of Dillo Day to confirm a headline artist in at least 10 years, confirming the headline act as early as April in 2011. The closest Mayfest has confirmed Dillo Day performer in the past decade was in 2010, when the group waited until 10 days before the show to confirm rapper Nelly was the lead act.

Associated Student Government president Ani Ajith, whose organization oversees Mayfest’s funding, said he did not know of any problems in the booking process for Dillo Day this year. He said the delay was likely due to stipulations in contracts with the artist about the announcement.

“I’m confident we’ll have a great headliner,” Ajith said.

Mayfest has already announced the rest of the acts for Saturday’s festival: student winners of battle of the bands and DJs competitions will join indie band Walk the Moon, rapper Danny Brown, rock band Smash Mouth and electronic producer Lunice.

— Cat Zakrzewski

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated the time of day. Mayfest had not announced a Dillo Day headliner as of Wednesday morning. The story also misstated the year in which Nelly performed at Dillo Day. He performed in 2010. The Daily regrets the errors.