Football: Chicago Bears sign former Northwestern receiver Demetrius Fields

Daily file photo by Mackenzie McCluer
Former Northwestern wide receiver Demetrius Fields was signed by the Chicago Bears on Monday. He caught 114 passes for more than 1,200 yards and 7 touchdowns in his career.

The number of Northwestern alumni in the NFL grew a little Monday when the Chicago Bears announced they have signed Demetrius Fields.

The wide receiver was one of 33 players the Bears invited to their rookie camp and one of the four the team signed. Fields played in all of the Wildcats’ 52 games over the past four years with 36 starts, catching 114 passes for more than 1,200 yards and 7 touchdowns. During his senior season in 2012, Fields caught a career-high 33 passes for 305 yards and a touchdown.

“Wanna first give glory to God and thanks to all the ppl whove held me up thru the process,” Fields tweeted Monday. “Signed FA w/ the Chicago Bears. #focusingon53 now.”

Fields may be best known for his two game-winning touchdown catches as a member of the Cats. He was the receiver who caught Dan Persa’s touchdown pass against Iowa in 2010 when the quarterback tore his Achilles. He also caught the game-winning pass against Syracuse in 2012 after then-sophomore Trevor Siemian led the final minute drive in the Carrier Dome in the season opener.

The contract means Fields will be competing for one of 53 roster spots when training camp opens in July. He will be one of three NU players from the 2012 team who have a solid chance of cracking an NFL roster this summer.

— Josh Walfish