University Library celebrates National Library Week

Melody Song/Daily Senior Staffer
Christina Pugh, an Evanston poet, speaks at the University Library to kick off Library Week. The library planned events throughout the week to celebrate its many resources.

University Library will host events throughout the week to raise awareness about its many resources as part of its National Library Week celebration.

Events include Poets in Our Corner, a poetry reading and discussion held Monday, and the third annual Deering After Dark on Thursday night.

“The goal is to get people to understand what a welcoming place the library is,” said Chris Davidson, the outreach and community services librarian. “We’re here for them.”

Davidson said he hopes this week will build a sense of community between library staff and students. Signs dedicated to different staff members are posted throughout the library, explaining who they are and what their job is, and a slideshow portraying staff members at work will run on the plasma screens Tuesday for Library Workers Appreciation Day.

The library will also have a free fruit stand in the New Book Alcove on Wednesday and post questions on the wall on the first floor each day that students will be able to answer by writing on sticky notes.

“The questions range from study habits to do you prefer tea or coffee,” Davidson said. “It’s just one way we’re trying to foster communication between students and the library.”

Poets in Our Corner brought members of the NU community together Monday for readings by Evanston poets Rachel Webster and Christina Pugh, followed by a discussion about the influence of community on poetry. Pugh said she was happy to be a part of an event celebrating the library.

“Libraries are so impressive because they’re about the cutting edge of technology, but they’re also about preserving books and papers,” Pugh said. “They’re a great asset to the community.”

Deering After Dark, a night of video games, pizza and mini golf hosted in Deering Library after hours, is another event designed to bring students and staff together.

“It’s an opportunity for students to get to know and get comfortable with staff,” Davidson said. “We as a staff are here to help students, and we want them to feel like they can come talk to us.”

McCormick junior Yoonjee Chung said that although she studies in the library often, she has little interaction with library staff.

“I don’t really talk to them much, unless I need to find something or need help with something,” Chung said.

Davidson said he hopes this week will “humanize” the library for students who only think of it as a place to study.

“We want students to realize all the things the library can do for them,” Davidson said. “This is your library.”