Letter from the editor: Tell us your opinions, and we will listen

Readers,

Welcome to The Daily’s new Opinion section. Our editor, Jillian Sandler, and I hope to treat this as your space, a place where we will publish your thoughts, musings and arguments. A page for you to reflect on the news we report or introduce a topic you think we’ve neglected.

We’ll have our usual round of Daily columnists contributing each week but we also encourage campus leaders to write guest columns, students and administrators to submit letters to the editor and online readers to post insightful comments on our discussion board.

Every other page you read today contains news articles, accurately and fairly reported stories that rely on pure fact. The Opinion section offers columns and editorials: Put simply, the opinions of the writer.

Those opinions are expected to be articulate and well-informed. They will sometimes be controversial. They do not represent the views of The Daily as an institution unless noted, but The Daily will stand behind our columnists’ right to express their views. As long as an opinion piece does not contain factual inaccuracies or blatant obscenities, we will print it.

That’s our side of the bargain: Publishing opinions that promote discourse. To do our job, we need your help. We want to hear from you. What issues do you care about? What do you think students and Evanston residents should know? If you loved an article or column we printed, tell us. If you hated it, we still want to know. Get political. Promote social justice. Dissect a pop culture phenomenon. Criticize or laud what people are doing at this school and in this city. Talk to us — we will listen.

If you have an opinion, contact Jillian at [email protected]. It’s as simple as that.

Thanks for reading and, above all, engaging,

Michele Corriston

Editor in chief