Blotter: Oct. 19

Planter stolen from local hospital

An employee of St. Francis Hospital in the 300 block of Ridge Avenue reported to Evanston Police that a planter and its contents were stolen from the hospital Monday.

Around 4 p.m., the unknown person entered the hospital and committed the theft. His point of entry remains unknown but the person was caught on surveillance camera. The planter, along with its contents, have an estimated value of $900, EPD Cmdr. Jay Parrott said.

Juvenile arrested for theft, aggravated battery

A 14-year-old theft victim told patrolling EPD officers in the 1900 block of Dempster Street that the person who took his skateboard the previous day was nearby.

When the police officers approached the described person and attempted to talk about the theft, he physically resisted efforts to place him in custody and struck two separate officers. One of the officers used a taser to allow the police to properly handcuff him without further incident.

The man was then taken to a local hospital for examination, released back to EPD custody for transport to the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center. He was charged with theft, two counts of aggravated battery to police and resisting arrest by the juvenile detectives. No further information can be released due to the offender’s age, according to the EPD news release.

— Ina Yang

View Oct. 19 in a larger map