Women’s golf receives player from Notre Dame

The Northwestern women’s golf program received exciting news on June 25- Nicole Zhang, Notre Dame’s top player in the 2010-2011 season, joined the Wildcats 2012-2013 roster.

Zhang, originally from Alberta Canada, played one full season for Notre Dame before quitting because she said her experience on the golf team was “miserable” and “nearly destroyed her confidence.” In 2011, following her departure from the golf team, Zhang returned to Notre Dame as a sophomore, but said she is looking forward to a “fresh start at a new school,” she said. This led her to explore the option of transferring schools.

Although Zhang said she had a difficult time on the Notre Dame golf team, she said she had many “amazing” memories at her old school and will always love Notre Dame.

“It was an such a difficult decision for me to leave Notre Dame, mainly because I had felt a special connection to the school and had made many life-long friends,” she said.

Looking back on her experience on Notre Dame’s golf team, Zhang’s heart told one story, but the numbers told a different one. During her freshman campaign, Zhang finished in the top ten in four out of five tournaments, and in the top 25 in all five. She took first place at the Mary Fossum Invitational, in which she scored a -9, the only score under par in the tournament. Following her fall season, in which her stroke average was a 71.5, Zhang was ranked as high as #20 in the country, which ranked first among freshmen golfers.

In addition to her accomplishments at Notre Dame, Zhang qualified for and competed in the 2010 U.S. Women’s Open at Oakmont Country Club and the 2010 and 2011 U.S. Women’s Amateurs. She was the first golfer in Notre Dame history to qualify for the Open.

Last year, the Wildcats finished in the middle of the pack in the majority of their tournaments, including the Big Ten Championship, in which they placed 7th out of 12. NU Coach Emily Fletcher said Nicole’s talent and experience, along with the addition of three other freshman, will push this year’s women’s golf team to greater heights.

“Nicole is a veteran player with proven success on the collegiate and national level.” Fletcher said. “Her enthusiasm for Northwestern and her desire to help us capture our first Big Ten championship was impressive. This is by far the most depth we have had on our roster and I believe this group is motivated to contend nationally and for the Big Ten Championship,” Fletcher said.

Team Captain Lauren Weaver also said the new players will help the women’s golf team in the Big Ten Championship. The Weinberg senior said the team is enthusiastic for Zhang to start playing for NU.

“Everyone on the team is excited Nicole Zhang will be joining us this year,” Weaver said. “We believe the additions this fall will help our team become a nationally competitive program and a strong contender for the Big Ten Championship.”

Weinberg senior Anne Ormson also said she is thrilled about Zhang’s transfer and her presence will give this year’s team a “competitive edge.”

“(Zhang has) proven herself as a champion at the collegiate level,” Ormson said.

In addition to playing for the NU women’s golf team, Zhang said some of the reasons she chose NU are the academics, the close proximity to Chicago and the beautiful campus. Fletcher also said Zhang is a bright student and will do well at NU.

“Academically, Nicole is a perfect fit for NU. She is a great student and knows how to balance the demands of school and golf,” Fletcher said.

Zhang said she is excited to play with the women’s golf team on some of the best golf courses on in the Chicago area and said she will benefit greatly from the experiene.

“Frankly, playing college golf again frightens me because of my past experience on the (Notre Dame) golf team, but I am going to use this experience to my advantage,” Zhang said. “I am excited to be a part of the NU golf team and sharpen my golf skills these next couple of years.”