Registration opens for Women Out Walking program

The fourth annual Women Out Walking program will feature a registration kick off from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on March 24 at Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave.

The 12-week program promotes walking and health education for Evanston women by providing fitness and nutrition workshops, free health screenings and group walks, according to a city news release issued Friday. Participants also will receive a free pedometer to track their progress.

The program is sponsored by the Evanston Health Department and the individuals and teams of women involved track their steps and activity levels every week, according to the City of Evanston website. The women also have the option to participate in alternative activities such as tai chi, yoga, dance and Nia.

The three main components of the program are weekly challenges, group walks and monthly workshops. Participants are expected to record their own steps on the website, which is now an individual responsibility instead of that of a team captain, as it was last year.

The monthly workshops will be held for two hours on Saturday mornings with a health presentation and class samplers, which include classes in tai chi, yoga, line dancing and belly dancing, according to the website.

Participants who wear W.O.W. t-shirts or paraphernalia will be given free access to the indoor track at McGaw YMCA, 1000 Grove St.

The program will also offer weekly raffle prizes for women who meet their individual goals, according to the news release. Entries are received by reporting step totals to the website and sending an email to enter the contest.

Last year, the program hosted events such as Girl Whirl Weekend which included a Downtown Twilight W.O.W walk, a downtown morning walk and a W.O.W. workshop called Dance and Get Fit.

Registration is now open and pre-registration ends March 16.