Booth: A final tip of the hat, wag of the finger

I put off writing this last column because I was hoping the rapture would render it unnecessary. Not that something as petty as the end of the known world would have stopped the presses at The Daily offices, but because I doubt all the faithless heathens would have wanted to take a break from looting and cannibalizing a la “The Road” to read my sentimental reflections on the past quarter.

They were the best of times and the worst of times. I was both told to “go back to Montana” and proposed to via comments on my columns. I felt like a star when I was recognized in line at the Crepe Bistro in Norris, and I felt like a clown when I didn’t know the difference between “cue” and “queue.”

After listening to the song “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac 30,000 times – my suitemates can attest – I got all schmaltzy and envisioned this column as being like the epilogue to Harry Potter: cheesy and unnecessary. And in celebration of Colbert being here for graduation – no, I’m not a bitter junior – here is a tip of the hat, wag of the finger list of things at NU that I love, hate and love to hate.

Tip of the hat to the Crepe Bistro ladies who have my order memorized.

Wag of the finger to the swampy mud bog that is lurking out back of Norris. Where am I supposed to go to eat my crepes when the weather is nice? Oh wait…

Wag of the finger to the weather.

Tip of the hat to the sexy new Harris Hall for making history glamorous again.

Wag of the finger to the champion who designed the too-wide-for-one-step-too-narrow-for-two-steps stairs outside Annenberg.

Tip of the hat to my favorite people on campus: the Blomquist mountain climber, the guy with the skateboard shoes who rolls up and down Sheridan, unicycle guy and Ellery. Hey, hey, hey.

Tip of the hat to the fog that has rolled into Evanston recently. Because we all know who likes fog: Edward Cullen and Jack Sparrow. One of them is bound to show up.

Wag of the finger to the air in the Sargent lobby.

Tip of the hat to the person who decided to put Nutella in the dining halls.

Wag of the finger to NU for charging for things like laundry and printing in the library. What, $50,000 a year doesn’t cover that? Nobody would notice if they just tacked on $20 a quarter and made all that jazz included.

Wag of the finger to the Magnolia trees for having such slippery petals. It really cramps my swagger when I inadvertently hit the deck.

Tip of the hat to Morty for having Daily columnist Tom Hayden over for dinner.

Wag of the finger to Morty for not having Daily columnist Samantha Booth over for dinner.

Tip of the hat to the administration for changing the meal plan selection for next fall.

Wag of the finger to the administration for not decreasing the price of the meal plan. Someone is making off like a bandit in this scheme, and according to the Living Wage Campaign, it’s not the people who actually do the work.

And finally, a preemptive tip of the hat to the person who takes my advice and uses their summer to start a photo blog called “Chet Haze walking places,” inspired by the “Kim Jong Il looking at things” Tumblr. Just throwing it out there. This needs to happen.

That’s all for now, kids. You have my gratitude. If I were you, I probably wouldn’t read my columns. Having an opinion and being a critic is easy. But taking the time to read other people’s opinions shows maturity. So tip of the hat to you. I hope you all have a magical summer. I best be seeing all of you in line at the movie theater on July 15.

Samantha Booth is a Medill junior. She can be reached at [email protected].