Letter to the Editor: Administrators are counterproductive in canceling class

I was deeply disappointed to read that Prof. Bailey’s Human Sexuality class will not be offered next year. I cannot think of a more counterproductive and reactionary response to the sex demo controversy than this. Requiring Bailey to have administrators pre-approve his syllabus? Sure. Banning the optional speakers? Not ideal, but fine. But removing the course altogether? This benefits no one and just goes to show how closed-minded and inflexible our educational institutions still are.

It is also truly unfortunate that whichever “higher academic authority” issued this prohibition has not graced us with any sort of public statement. If, as I suspect, this authority is actually the Northwestern administration, then I hope it is not too presumptuous of me to suggest that perhaps those of us paying upwards of $50,000 a year to study here should be the ones deciding which classes we should be allowed to take. Regardless, a public statement explaining this decision should be released immediately because we deserve to know the whole story.

Whether or not you agree with the optional demonstration that instigated this whole mess, I do hope that most students, professors and administrators agree that sexuality is a vital part of human life to learn about. As a sexual health peer educator, I know that first-hand and can only hope that Northwestern students will continue to learn about and discuss sexuality in an academic setting – whether we have a class about it or not.

-Miriam Mogilevsky

Weinberg sophomore

Member, Northwestern Sex Week Committee