Clifton: Judging hate speech: it’s a good thing

You see it all the time: media figures getting fired because they used hate speech.

In the past year, radio talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger was muzzled after repeating the “n” word 11 times during an on-air conversation. National Public Radio host Juan Williams also got the curtain call after his derogatory remarks on Muslims, and CNN terminated Rick Sanchez after making anti-Semitic comments. Their firings were the result of scrutinous judgment from politicians, colleagues and their viewers/listeners.

But, despite continuous backlash, Rush Limbaugh remains on the air despite countless derogatory remarks directed at minorities including, “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies,” and “Let the kinds of jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do – let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work.” He also insensitively mimicked the Chinese language after a speech given by Chinese president Hu Jintao during his recent U.S. visit.

Typically, being judgmental is frowned upon, but in the arena of hate speech, Martha Stewart’s modus operandi applies: “It’s a good thing.” As we begin Black History Month, I invite you to think about that.

Though Dr. Laura royally screwed up while using the “n” word, she was on to something during her ill-conceived rant. Is it right for a black person to publicly and casually use the “n” word, jokingly or not, yet expect a white person to not sing along to the “n” word when listening to Lil’ Wayne? Though it’s tricky territory, I don’t think it’s right, and my reasoning could apply to the slurs used to describe many other identities.

Blacks understand how the “n” word was used to degrade and exclude them from societal participation, and other people, especially white people, should understand their responsibility to foster an inclusive environment by refraining from its use. At the same time, black people are also responsible for their discourse, and further use of the word may unintentionally give others the green light to continue using it.

Everyone is responsible for their discourse and for not using hate speech, no matter who they are. It would be purely hypocritical to demand our identities be respected and still belittle others for who they are. How could I expect someone else to treat me with respect if I used hateful or culturally insensitive speech/gestures to demoralize people like him/her?

Interesting paradoxes, aren’t they? It begs the question: would you respect someone’s identity even if they didn’t respect yours? Regardless of who you are, everyone deserves respect and to be judged “by the content of their character,” as Dr. King said it. Using hate-tinged speech speaks volumes about the content of your character, like it or not.

Before Don Imus was sidelined after calling the Rutger’s women’s basketball team a “bunch of nappy headed hos,” media personalities like Rosie O’Donnell came to his defense, invoking the free speech argument. Even Dr. Laura, when announcing her show’s end, said she wished to “regain my First Amendment rights.”

Sure, you have the freedom of speech, but it doesn’t mean your abuse of it cannot have negative consequences. With your freedom of speech should also come a heavy dose of tact. Abusing free speech disrespects both our civil society and our country because it is up to each of us to foster a safe, welcoming space for everyone, everywhere. This is no longer about political correctness, a phrase that’s unfairly characterized and that we need to redefine as a generation.

It’s unfair that Juan Williams, Don Imus, and Dr. Laura were all fired or forced to resign because of their racist or culturally insensitive remarks, and yet Rush Limbaugh remains employed as radio talk’s highest-rated personality to disseminate his proud ignorance for the world to hear. It’s a shame and it’s hypocritical.

The radio would be much better without much of Limbaugh’s hypocrisy and his hate. So, I question Premiere Radio Networks and Clear Channel: why haven’t you fired him?

Derrick Clifton is a Communication junior. He can be reached at [email protected]. Illustration by Corinne Chin.