Baseball: Northwestern newcomers fill in rotating bullpen

After six Northwestern pitchers combined to allow 10 earned runs on 13 hits Sunday against Ohio State, coach Paul Stevens said he is looking to solidify the back end of his bullpen.

“A multitude of individuals running to the hill” will have the chance to make their case at 3 p.m. on Wednesday when NU (7-20) faces Trinity International (17-12).

“If Jack Havey can throw, we’ll throw him,” Stevens said. “If Luke Farrell can throw, we’ll throw him. You may even see Quentin Williams some on the mound.”

Stevens said he has been using the same pitchers and needs to find a way to give the others a chance to show they can have late-inning success.

Farrell, one of NU’s four freshmen, has allowed nine earned runs on 12 hits in 5.2 innings over six appearances out of the pen. Pitching coach Tim Stoddard said the righty initially struggled with control and sometimes overthrew the ball but now is now throwing strikes more often.

Farrell said he learned everything he knows from his father John, who is in his fourth season as pitching coach for the Boston Red Sox.

“He knows a lot about the game,” Farrell said. “I’ve been fortunate to have him as a dad and as a coach.”

With such an experienced role model, the 6-foot-6, 200-pounder said he feels added pressure. But it’s a challenge that motivates him as he works to improve. Farrell said he’s learning to throw all his pitches-fastball, curveball and changeup-for strikes in any count.

The other freshman right-hander NU added to its roster this season is Havey, who has allowed seven earned runs on 10 hits in 6.1 innings over three appearances. Looking to improve, the righty said he’s mostly working on his speed and strength.

But Havey doesn’t just pitch. The freshman also spends time at first base for the Wildcats, which presents an interesting situation for NU.

“We expect stuff from Jack out down the line,” Stoddard said. “A lot just depends on how much we can get him out there this year with him playing a dual role. We have to kind of pick and choose our spots a little bit more.”

Before the season, Stevens said sophomore right-hander Michael Jahns would be “snapping at some people’s heels” for time on the mound. Jahns certainly has gained time in the middle of the diamond, leading the team with 12 appearances. But the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder has allowed 18 earned runs on 34 hits in just 19.2 innings.

Stoddard said an outing goes one of two ways for Jahns: Either he takes the mound and pitches “great” or he struggles with throwing strikes.

“When he’s throwing great, he’s probably got one of the best sinkers in the league,” Stoddard said. “But sometimes he gets a little bit out of kilter, and that ball’s just running so much it’s hard for him to keep it in the strike zone.”

Stoddard said the key for Jahns is to define his release point so he will be more comfortable on the mound and command the zone.

One player who has offered consistent support out the bullpen is lefty Matt Gailey, who has compiled a 2.03 ERA. Stoddard said the junior has gained confidence with his success, which makes it easier to repeat his performance when the Cats need him.

“We have found a role for Matt that suits him very well,” Stoddard said. “That’s coming in and stopping rallies, whether it’s the middle of the game or late in the game. He’s throwing strikes with all three pitches, and that’s been his success.”

Stoddard said NU hopes to get three to five players on the mound for extra work Wednesday against the Trojans.[email protected]