Chappatta: Players’ road from NU to Super Bowl no easy task, deserves recognition

Chalk up Super Bowl XLIV as another victory for Northwestern. No offense to the Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers, but they’ve had nothing on the Wildcats these past few seasons.

With the Saints’ win, NU’s streak of having a player on the Super Bowl-winning team extends to five years in a row. This was guaranteed to happen, with defensive lineman John Gill playing for the Colts and offensive tackle Zach Strief suiting up for the Saints.Yes, Strief committed a false start penalty on second-and-goal from the 3-yard line that ended up costing the Saints a chance at a touchdown. Gill didn’t fare much better, failing to record any defensive statistics.

Yes, the Big Ten connections were probably more noteworthy for Purdue, which had two quarterbacks representing the school: Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees started for the Saints, and Curtis Painter backed up Peyton Manning for the Colts.

And yes, none of the NU alums in the past five seasons played memorable positions. Trai Essex played on the offensive line for the Steelers when they won the Super Bowl in 2006 and 2009. Matt Ulrich battled the Bears’ defense in the trenches in 2007 as an offensive lineman for the Colts. Barry Cofield was a Giants defensive tackle in 2008 when they upset the Patriots.

Put all that aside, though, because this is still a feat worth noticing and a trend worth monitoring.

Mike Kafka was an outstanding quarterback this past year for the Cats. I’ve gone on the record saying he should have been Big Ten MVP based on his stellar numbers in the regular season, when he ranked first in the Big Ten in passing yards per game and total offense. Though his performance was up and down at the Outback Bowl, he still demonstrated his leadership, poise and ability to make a big play.

All that, and Kafka might not even get drafted.

Or, look at Kafka’s go-to wide receiver. Zeke Markshausen ranked second in the Big Ten in receptions per game and fifth in receiving yards per game. His reputation as a quality possession receiver led some to compare him to the Patriots’ Wes Welker.But the only way he is going to land on an NFL squad is the same way he got on NU’s roster-as a walk-on.

The point is, making it to the next level is tough at any spot, and especially at such cutthroat positions as quarterback, running back and wide receiver. Look no further than Tyrell Sutton. Though injuries plagued him late in his NU career, he was still one of the most talented rushers ever to don a Cats uniform. Yet, in his rookie season, he was undrafted and cut from the Green Bay Packers before finding a home with the Carolina Panthers.

Ironically, the player projected to be drafted the highest this season is another lineman-Corey Wootton. He dominated throughout his junior season, often breaking through double-teams on his way to 10 sacks. He was hampered for most of his senior year by a knee injury he suffered in the 2008 Alamo Bowl, yet he is still near the top of draft boards for defensive ends.

What’s more, the Cats’ top alumnus in the NFL right now is probably also a defensive lineman. The San Diego Chargers’ Luis Castillo got off to a strong start in the NFL, earning a spot on the All-Rookie Team for his strong play in the Chargers’ 3-4 defense.

The Big Ten led all conferences with 20 former players competing in the Super Bowl, including stars like Brees, Dallas Clark (Iowa) and Pierre Thomas (Illinois). So what does it say about NU that it gets excited over having two relative unknowns in the Super Bowl?It shows the Cats care about their former players, no matter what their role is on their NFL teams. It proves NU is able to produce NFL-quality talent consistently, and now that the team is making strides in the Big Ten, it might be getting even better. Gill and Strief embody the “Wildcat Spirit” Pat Fitzgerald always talks about, fighting day after day to maintain a spot on the roster.

The Cats might not receive the respect they deserve, and might never get it, but there has never been a better time to be an NU sports fan. The lacrosse team is dominating like no squad ever has at NU, the men’s basketball team is making a push for its first NCAA Tournament appearance and the football team nearly won back-to-back bowl games.Even if Strief and Gill weren’t the star performers of the Super Bowl, it’s a step in the right direction. Change doesn’t happen overnight, but as both basketball teams are demonstrating this winter, small steps can make a big difference.

The same logic applies to the fervor over NU alums playing in the Super Bowl. It further cements the football program on the map, and is another rationale Fitz can give to potential recruits thinking about NU-the Cats are leaving their paw prints on the NFL’s biggest stage.

Sports editor Brian Chappatta is a Medill junior. He can be reached at [email protected].