Minority numbers up again

The diversity of Northwestern’s class of 2013 has increased since the May 1 deadline for postmarking deposits.

Black enrollment is now up to 6 percent compared to the 3.7 percent it was at this time last year. Latino enrollment has increased to 6.8 percent from 6.5 this year, said Michael Mills, associate provost for university enrollment.

He added that the percentage of minority students will continue to grow as some non-minority students opt not to attend NU over the summer.

“African-American, Latino and low-income students tend to choose other schools less frequently,” Mills said. “When we finish, (minority enrollment) will be higher. I’m almost positive.”

Last year black enrollment at NU increased to 4.2 percent from 3.7 percent over the course of the summer, he said.

University admissions came under fire this year after only 87 black students matriculated in the freshman class.

For Members Only Coordinator Marrion Johnson said he was excited by the strides NU has made this year.

Admissions worked hard with the black student community at NU to help market the university to prospective students, Johnson said.

He added that the next benchmark should be reaching 10 percent in black enrollment.

“We feel pleased that all the efforts that we’ve done have paid off,” Johnson said.

Related:Class of 2013 takes shape 5/6/09Northwestern admissions numbers increase from last year 4/8/09