Regan: Spring bringing renewal

A few weeks ago I was feeling sad about the current sports landscape. Not much was going on, and it didn’t look like it was getting much better.

But for some reason, there has been a revival, mainly in three parts: Northwestern lacrosse is coming back in force, NU hoops might take part in some sort of March Madness and Spring Training. And I can’t wait to see what happens.

As collegiate baseball is for scrubs when you attend NU, or for that matter anywhere cold, I mean the MLB. And with so much drama and signing rumors, what isn’t there to like? It’s like NASCAR, but without as many hicks and southern accents.

Who’s going to get outed for PED’s (I hate using that acronym, but I feel I must) next?

My guess is Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia. Why, you ask? He looks just gullible enough to take height-increasing rectal shots. Plus, he had a really good year and you can never be suspicious enough. Even my boy Joe Mauer had “kidney surgery,” which everyone knows is to help take out residual PED. Say it ain’t so, Joe.

Miami Witch Trials, here we come!

Just as baseball has relocated for the month, so has the jewel in our crown, the lacrosse team. Aside from the occasional sighting of a player wearing her new warm-up jacket with four (count ’em) championship stars, the team is traveling around the country showing teams like North Carolina, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt how to play the sport. Last weekend, it helped the Fighting Irish give up winning for Lent (or for all their sports, that was their New Year’s resolution) and forgot it started today. Sadly for these teams, the Wildcats forgot to graduate many starters last year and are even more dangerous.

An aside for the team’s star-laden warm-ups and jerseys: Can we require this for all sports? International soccer teams have done this forever with World Cup championships, so why can’t all collegiate sports show the casual fan who has the most storied programs?

Somebody, please do something about this. I want to see the 21 stars for the Yale men’s golf team.

But back to why I am giddy about sports (and not just because I discovered ESPN’s Streak for the Cash).

NU basketball. Seriously, this weekend’s game against Iowa might be the biggest game in almost a decade. Win, and the Cats have a better-than-average shot at the NIT (most likely a lock if they win tonight at Indiana) and could be poised for a run in the Big Ten tourney. Lose, and the whole season might unravel, leading to coach Bill Carmody’s head on a pike by the arch. Personally, as much of a cynic as I am, I much prefer the former scenario to having to become yet another NU class to never see postseason basketball.

So sports fans, cheer up. Just because the Bulls stink and no one goes to Blackhawk games, when NU’s spring sports return to campus, the biggest events of the week will involve getting a tan by the tennis court or lacrosse field.