1,500 tickets for NU Day at Wrigley sell out in one day

Not even a century of losing baseball was enough to keep Northwestern students from snatching up Chicago Cubs tickets for the upcoming NU Day at Wrigley Field baseball game. The 1,500 tickets made available at the Norris Box Office on Friday were sold out by the end of the day.

“This is the first time in a long time that they all sold out on the first day, ” said Communication junior Katherine O’Koniewski, the event’s co-chairwoman. “It’s amazing how excited NU students are for the game.”

The Northwestern Class Alliance and the Northwestern Alumni Association teamed up to subsidize the tickets for the May 13 game against the San Diego Padres. For $10, students received a ticket to the game and a purple “NU Day at Wrigley” T-shirt.

Communication sophomore Jess Danielson was unable to get tickets when they went on sale Friday and said she had better luck with tickets for last year’s NU Day.

“It was frustrating,” she said. “Last year I was able to get them a few days after they went on sale. I definitely didn’t know they would sell out so fast. I wish there were more tickets.”

At last year’s 15-inning marathon, the Cubs lost 4-3 to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Students and organizers alike said they hope for a Cubs win this year and time to bond with friends.

“I’m a die-hard Cubs fan,” said Weinberg sophomore Rosanne Sangiacomo. “I’m not going to miss the opportunity to go to a game with all my friends.”

The baseball game makes it possible for students to spend time in Chicago, said NCA president Jenny Cota.

“This is the quintessential NCA and Chicago event,” the Weinberg junior said. “People want to go out to the city. This is an easy outlet and a fun way to get students together who might not necessarily know each other.”

Other students, especially those who weren’t Cubs fans, said that Wrigley Field was an attraction in itself.

“I love baseball, and Wrigley is such a historic place,” said Weinberg sophomore Michael Friedman. “This is a great opportunity – with the price of the ticket – for everyone to get there.”

McCormick freshman Nathan Ritter said he was “definitely excited” because he had never been to Wrigley. However, as a St. Louis Cardinals fan, Ritter said he has ulterior motives in attending the game – “any chance to root against the Cubs.”

Cota has received nothing but positive feedback from students in past years and expects attendees will again have a good time at the event, she said.

“You just can’t go to a Cubs game for $10,” she said.

Besides just watching the game, students have the opportunity to get involved on the field as well. A yet-to-be-determined student a cappella group will perform the national anthem before the game and a student will have the opportunity to throw out the ceremonial first pitch, O’Koniewski said. The student will be chosen at a bar night May 5 at Prairie Moon, 1502 Sherman Ave., in a contest featuring a trivia challenge, dress-up and talent competition, she said.

No matter the game’s outcome, O’Koniewski predicted that it will be unforgettable.

“This is always one of the events that everyone remembers about their NU experience,” she said.