10th annual Unity Soccer Festival celebrates diversity, sportsmanship
Four individuals face charges for April’s pro-Palestine encampment

Football: Northwestern embracing realigned conference challenge at Big Ten Media Days

Letters to the Editor

Gossip, cheap wine not exclusive to Greek system

Though I’m not a part of the Greek system, I’m offended after reading Anna Maltby’s Tuesday column (“On Greeks, Italians and a Hangover,” Oct. 2).

Last week, the Medill student made a point of attempting meaningful prose, and this week we’re treated to nothing more than conversation from her Friday evening. Yes, I love gossip. But this time, I felt like I was listening to someone sell out her friends in attempt to propagandize the rush situation. This isn’t Page Six, after all, and there’s no reason that (somewhat) innocent Fratty people ended up in an anti-rush column.

Take away the Carlo Rossi, and it’d be just as easy to find similarly vapid conversations on the streets of Garnett, the halls of Willard, or anywhere else on campus. We’re 8,000 young co-eds and we’re bound to talk some trash. Even if we preface it with “I hate to say this,” the Greek system has nothing to do with that.

– Kurt SollerMedill seniorFormer Play Staffer

Attack on Greek System Unwarranted

Ah yes, Anna Maltby. What a pleasure your presence on the Forum page has become! What a complex and engaging figure you are, queen bee of the intellectual elite at Northwestern, moral arbiter, (supposedly) ashamed gossip and definer of all things “sketchy.”

Imagine my joy at your most recent column! Yes, the fraternity, home to the dregs of society, the filthy, the feral, the untamed masses yearning for someone to enlighten them with a good Bordeaux and an explanation of the difference between the grape that is used to make such a fine wine and the thing hanging between their legs which, you assert, they also use for thinking.

Can you imagine the nerve, nay, the temerity, that these men must have had to spread “unadulterated (fine vocabulary!) gossip” between themselves in your hallowed presence. It’s almost as if there is a propensity among young people to chat about topics of a crude and vulgar nature, which you observed in the conversation of your (most likely now former) friends.

But don’t take it from me. In fact, you have a much bigger problem on your hands beyond dismissing the intellectual capabilities and moral character of a third of our campus. The Forum editor, your editor, is in fact affiliated with one of these bacchanal societies. Quick, someone call Abe Rakov, we’ve got an emergency on our hands!

– Kyle BerlinMedill sophomore

Football’s loss does not make team a lost cause

Northwestern does not have a football team with the highest winning percentage in Div. I-A history. The assertion, however, that our program is both “impotent” and “incompetent” is both unfair and naive (“Memo to NU football: Enough is enough,” Oct. 1).

The complaints is based on the fact that NU has lost its last three football games. Yes, I’ll admit the loss against Duke was painful, and it’s never fun to watch your team get pummeled by the No. 8 team in the nation. (Note: One of the top ten teams in the nation. That was never going to be easy.) However, lumping in this weekend’s game against Michigan with the other two is without merit for a number of reasons.

The team played better during the Michigan game than any other game yet this season. The coaching was on, the defense was tight and efficient and the offense were not only making plays but third down conversions. If you didn’t notice, we led for three quarters. We lost the game because of fourth-quarter mistakes. You can’t judge a program based on one game, or even three games. We weren’t supposed to win on Saturday; we were supposed to get creamed – but we didn’t. Our team stood up and fought. You can’t ask for more from a team or its coach.

The writer of the letter graduated in 2003. In the time he was at Northwestern, NU was co-Big Ten champions and went to the Alamo Bowl. Stop complaining about NU’s “impending doom” – the only thing on the horizon is the possibility for improvement.

Give Fitz a little time; after all, he just got the job. Winning football programs aren’t built overnight. We’ll go to the Rose Bowl next year.

– Brittany PetersenMedill sophomore