The 23rd annual Chicago Pride Fest features JoJo Siwa, Sapphira Cristál and Bob the Drag Queen
Queering The Map shows queer love on campus
‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade
Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Rose Moves On In Both Singles And Doubles Tournaments (Women’s Tennis)

By Brian Regan The Daily Northwestern

The day after “not taking her foot off the gas” in her first-round NCAA Tournament win, Georgia Rose was stuck in neutral early in her second-round matchup.

Rose was unable to win games on her serve and made ground stroke errors, falling down 4-2 to Virginia Commonwealth’s Tatsiana Uvarova.

But the tide turned against Uvarova when Rose broke back to close within one game of the lead and did not surrender another game until she won the set.

Uvarova came out with guns blazing in the second set, putting Rose in another early hole, down 3-0. Rose regained her composure during a long injury timeout by Uvarova, winning a game to keep the pressure on her opponent.

The second set mirrored the first, with Rose mounting a huge comeback to take the match.

Trailing 4-1, Rose stormed back, winning four games to take the lead and serve for the match.

But like the rest of the day, Uvarova did not give the NU sophomore anything for free. Rose held off two break points before winning the match and making it to third round of the tournament.

“Georgia won an ugly match that she did a great job winning on heart and grit, really outworking the girl,” coach Claire Pollard said. “It was tough out there for her and she handled it well. She just showed her gritty nature.”

Later, Rose teamed up with senior Alexis Prousis to compete in the first round of the NCAA doubles tournament.

The Wildcats’ ninth-ranked duo showed some rust early, committing service faults and unforced errors and allowing their opponents, Georgia Tech’s Amanda Craddock and Alison Silverio, to take a lead in the first set.

After NU lost the initial break, both teams held serve for the rest of the set, which Craddock and Silverio won 6-3.

Pollard said since the match was best two-out-of-three sets instead of the single extended set played in dual competition, the Cats’ duo had more time to come back.

“It’s a lot different than a pro-set, there was no need to panic,” Pollard said. “It was a lot like playing men’s tennis in the first set because everyone served really big.”

Prousis played a solid service game, while Rose held her own at the net to give the Cats the first game of the second set.

The Georgia Tech duo held serve to tie the set 1-1, but Prousis and Rose didn’t look back for the rest of the set, winning five straight games.

The third set was hard fought, but NU took their first break-point chance to gain a lead they would never relinquish, although the Yellow Jackets fought off several match points and did their best to stay in the match.

Prousis and Rose won the set 6-4.

“I felt that we really broke their spirit in the second set and we were always in control during the third set,” Pollard said. “But you never count someone out and never count a victory until you see them shaking hands.”

Rose moves on to face Lindsay Burdette from Stanford who knocked off defending champion Susie Babos in her second round match. She’ll also team up with Prousis to face Pepperdine’s Bianca Dulgheru and Sylvia Kosakowski.

Reach Brian Regan at [email protected].