Former Gator Dominating Cats’ Doubles Scene (Women’s Tennis)

By Brian Regan

The Daily Norhtwestern

Four months after finishing up a stellar freshman campaign for the University of Florida in the NCAA team semifinals, Keri Robison was practicing for a different school and had a fresh start.

Robison posted a 15-4 mark in doubles last season and attained a ranking of No. 53 in the country, but the atmosphere at Florida didn’t click for the Decatur, Ill. native.

“Initially, I thought it was my dream school and everything I wanted out of college,” Robison said. “But once I got there I realized it wasn’t the best fit for me. I’m glad I’ve had better luck the second time.”

Once she realized the situation at Florida wasn’t going to right itself, she looked for other options. Northwestern came to the top of her list because she already knew coach Claire Pollard and said she respected her and wanted to be part of the program.

Since transfering to NU last fall, the sophomore has made inroads with her new teammates.

“She’s definitely come in and made a big impact in doubles,” sophomore Georgia Rose said. “She is really dominant at the net and has been very successful playing (both No. 1 and No. 2) with Lauren (Lui).”

Successful only begins to capture the dominance Lui and Robison exude on the court: The duo is currently 13-2.

“Her experience on the court is great,” Lui said. “She talks to me when I am down, and we balance each other out, and it’s a great combination.”

With Rose resting the last three matches, the pair has been playing No. 1, and has yet to lose at the top spot.

But that is not to say Robison hasn’t struggled along the way.

“It’s been tough learning a bunch of new drills and fitting into a new system,” Robison said. “But I know it’s constructive and only going to make me a better player in the long run.

“I feel like I’ve made more strides so far this year than I did during my entire time at Florida from Claire’s teaching.”

By playing a collegiate season in another conference, Robison has had the opportunity to play against competition that her new teammates haven’t faced.

“I can compare things and I know a lot of players all around the country,” Robison said. “Now I’ve gotten to know the Big Ten and SEC pretty well. It gives me a different perspective that can help the team.”

That perspective so far has helped lead the Wildcats to a No. 7 national ranking, a 17-4 record overall and perfect 9-0 mark in the Big Ten.

This Sunday against Michigan State, the team will have the chance to accomplish one of its preseason goals: an undefeated conference record.

But with a possible match-up against Florida in the NCAA tournament, it may be hard to stay in the present.

“I still have some really good friends at Florida,” Robison said. “But I’d never shy away from a challenge, and Florida would be a good match. It would be fun to play them and a good battle.”

Reach Brian Regan at [email protected].