‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade
Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Mayor’s Award Honors Evanston Artist, Group

Before Mayor Morton spoke about Evanston’s political and economic issues at Friday’s State of the City address, she took some time out to recognize the more artistic side of the city.

The annual Mayor’s Award for the Arts is traditionally given to one individual and one organization each year. This year, portrait artist Richard Halstead and art outreach program The Open Studio Project both were honored.

“This award is a high honor, given the abundance of artistic activity in the city,” Morton said.

The Open Studio Project moved to Evanston six years ago and serves more than 2,000 people annually. According to a city news release, the project “brings the creative process to interested individuals and people of all ages and backgrounds, empowering them to turn to art for personal growth.”

Both winners received a hand-colored etching by Evanston artist Elizabeth Ockwell.

Halstead, the Noyes Cultural Arts Center resident artist, has had his art featured in the Smithsonian Institution and several universities. He recently donated four portraits of city employees, including emergency workers, to hang in the Civic Center.

“(The portraits are) a testament to the hard work and risk these servicepeople face in order to help others,” Morton said.

Halstead said he was honored.

“Whatever I might have contributed, it’s small in proportion to what I’ve gotten from this city,” he said. “It’s just a super, super award … Today’s my lucky day.”

-Megan Crepeau