Program To Offer Grants For Summer Projects

The Latin American and Caribbean Studies program will offer two or three grants for students who want to complete research projects in Latin America and the Caribbean this summer.

The grants will be for amounts between $1,000 and $1,500 and will primarily cover travel and transportation.

The grants are intended for students interested in writing their senior theses on topics concerning Latin America and the Caribbean or who are planning similar research projects, said Jorge Coronado, acting director for the Latin American and Caribbean Studies program.

The program is offering six courses this quarter, including the popular Introduction to Latino Studies course. The department also hosts events around campus, such as the Feb. 5 screening of the documentary “Burnt Oranges,” a film highlighting the effects of late-20th-century violence in Argentina.

While the program is only available as a minor within Weinberg, “We would very much like to see a major,” Coronado said.

Senior Lindsay Dudley, who is pursuing Latin American and Caribbean Studies as an ad hoc major, said that although she does not work with the program, she thinks that the grants are a good resource.

“(The grants) are a good support for people who want to pursue a study revolving around Latin America,” Dudley said.

– Liz Coffin-Karlin