Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address
Pro-Palestinian graduates walk out of 2024 Commencement Ceremony in solidarity with Gaza
‘Wildcats should have wild dreams:’ Nikki Okrah delivers optimistic 2024 Weinberg Convocation address
The Daily Explains: Contextualizing the Evanston reparations lawsuit
NU announces plans to prevent disruptions at commencement

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Lacrosse: No. 1 Northwestern falls 14-13 to No. 2 Boston College in national championship battle

May 26, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

Why Club Sports at Northwestern?

Multicultural Greek Groups Celebrate, Reach Out With Week’s Events

By Elise FoleyThe Daily Northwestern

Today marks the beginning of Multicultural Greek Council Week, where students can learn three types of dance, the history of dominoes and how to make spring rolls in a series of events hosted by chapters of the Multicultural Greek Council.

“It’s a chance for the Multicultural Greek Council to showcase each individual chapter,” said Joslyn Teng, the council’s president. “This is an opportunity to have a fun week and see what Multicultural Greeks are all about.”

Each of the council’s five chapters hosts an event this week. The events are attended by members of the Multicultural Greek Council, potential new pledges and other Northwestern students.

The council is composed of three historically Latino and two historically Asian fraternities and sororities.

The council hopes to attract more students this year by increasing publicity, said Carla Herrera, Sigma Lambda Gamma secretary, historian and social chair.

“We’re really pushing for people from all over campus to come,” said Herrera, a McCormick junior.

Events are designed to display an aspect of the sorority or fraternity’s culture. Today’s step dancing seminar with fraternity Lambda Phi Epsilon is the week’s first event.

Tuesday, Lambda Theta Alpha will host a dominoes tournament and teach students the history of the game.

On Wednesday at a Spring Roll night hosted by Kappa Phi Lambda, students will make and eat Vietnamese spring rolls.

Sigma Lambda Gamma is hosting a Flamenco dancing workshop Thursday.

Omega Delta Phi is hosting a workshop Friday on the Latin dance Bachata, said chapter President Chris Cuellar, a McCormick junior.

“A member of the chapter is involved with Blast, and we thought the dance would be a good opportunity to teach something fun,” Cuellar said.

“I’m interested to see everyone’s events and the other people from other (Greek) councils that come out and celebrate,” he said.

Multicultural Greek Council Week takes place every year and attendance is growing, Cuellar said. Friday’s final event is a dance at Norris. A schedule is available at groups.northwestern.edu/mgc.

The events are not related to recruitment, which takes place at a different time for each chapter, although the week can give prospective members a good idea of what the chapter is about, said Teng, a Music junior.

“It’s a chance for people who are interested to get to know the members,” Teng said. “The best way to get involved is to talk to one of the members of the chapter that you’re interested in.”

Reach Elise Foley at [email protected].