NU Students Opt To Spend New Year’s In Evanston

By Megan CrepeauThe Daily Northwestern

New Year’s Eve is a time for staying up late, hastily scribbling a list of resolutions you know you won’t keep, and exchanging awkward, meaningless kisses at midnight (Insert your own ball-dropping joke here).

Some places are famous for their New Year’s celebrations, most notably New York City and its massive party in Times Square.

But Dick Clark and Carson Daly aside, though, some Northwestern students have decided that Evanston is the right place to ring in 2007.

“I just know that if I stay in Evanston I’ll find some fun things to do,” said Denise Yasinow, a Weinberg senior who is coming back early from Winter Break to celebrate New Year’s in Evanston.

Yasinow said she and her friends have been talking about this New Year’s for a long time, even though they don’t have any specific plans yet.

“We can go out with friends and celebrate with the rest of Evanston,” said Communication senior Abra Chusid, one of Yasinow’s roommates, who is also coming back early.

There will be plenty to do in Evanston, with the biggest attraction being First Night Evanston. Calling itself “Illinois’ largest New Year’s Eve festival of the arts,” First Night will feature performances by The Second City and noted hypnotist and mindreader Christopher Carter. There will be some children-oriented activities such as face painting and marionettes.

And don’t forget that Chicago is just an El ride away, and bars, clubs and parties will surely welcome all (legal) Wildcats.

For Chusid and her friends, however, partying may take a backseat to just hanging out with friends for one last New Year’s before their college years are gone.

“If I were at home, I’d just be with my family,” she said. “We don’t usually celebrate New Year’s together anyway.”

Staying for New Year’s won’t be all fun and games for every NU student, however. Dave Leuchter, assistant producer for The Dolphin Show, is staying over for most of Winter Break, only going home to Los Angeles for a few days around Christmas.

Leuchter, a McCormick senior, doesn’t really mind giving up most of his break.

“I knew that was what I was getting into (when I signed up to produce the show),” he said. “I knew it wasn’t the ideal break.”

He and a group of other Dolphin Show students will spend their break preparing for the Jan. 19 show. According to Leuchter, building the sets will “suck up most of (his) time.”

He does plan to throw a New Year’s Eve party for his Dolphin Show friends at the end of break.

“It’s sort of my little way of enticing people to come back (over the break),” he said.

Reach Megan Crepeau at [email protected].