10th annual Unity Soccer Festival celebrates diversity, sportsmanship
Four individuals face charges for April’s pro-Palestine encampment

Football: Northwestern embracing realigned conference challenge at Big Ten Media Days

Highs and lows

Thumbs down to ASG …

… for over-budgeting student group funding the first time around. At Wednesday’s meeting, after giving out $57,152 in extra money the Associated Student Government’s funding proposal was – oops! – more than $10,000 in the red, and it took four hours of debate and numerous cuts to bring it out of the hole.

The accounting oversight required several campus groups to take heavy hits. College Democrats, A&O, SEED and other groups received less than they expected only a few hours earlier.

Though this new change in funding procedures was intended altruistically, so student groups wouldn’t have to claw at each other for the extra money, the new system obviously has a few kinks that need to be worked out.

By now ASG should know not to make promises it can’t keep.

Thumbs up to Sen. Dick Durbin …

… for proposing a bill that would cut interest rates for student loans in half. Durbin (D-Ill.), the Senate minority whip, co-sponsored with Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) the catchy U.S. Senate bill “Reverse the Raid on Student Aid” in response to a $12 billion cut in student aid requested by President Bush and passed by the Republican Congress.

If Durbin’s bill does not pass, interest rates for Stafford loans would rise on July 1 to 6.8 percent. According to Durbin, the new proposal would save the average undergraduate with $17,500 in student loan debt. This is roughly $5,600 over the life of the loan. The bill also recommends increasing maximum Pell grants.

One huge problem: No one expects this bill to pass under the Republican Congress, so graduates and soon-to-be graduates should keep saving up for years of loans. At least Durbin tried.

Thumbs down to east coast bias …

… to blame for ranking the Cats No. 4 seed in the 2006 NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse Championship, even though they were ranked No. 1. The three teams seeded above Northwestern are from East Coast universities. Duke, who handed the Cats their only loss this season in April, took the No. 1 seed. Virginia is the No. 2 seed, with Georgetown rounding out the top three seeds.

It is insulting that the reigning national champions – who lead the nation in scoring, scoring margin, win percentage and draw controls –