Rapper drops out of tour

Kanye West will be missing a “Common” element of his tour when he stops at Welsh-Ryan Arena on Nov. 14.

Chicago rapper Common dropped out of West’s “Touch the Sky” tour because of a last-minute offer of a movie role, according to a news release on MTV.com on Tuesday.

Press releases confirmed the tour’s other openers. American Idol winner Fantasia and R&B newcomer Keyshia Cole are still scheduled to perform.

Neither A&O Productions nor Welsh Ryan Arena facilities management could confirm the performers or the concert date, listed as Nov. 14 by several Web sites, including Billboard.com.

The Daily reported the tour would stop at Northwestern on Nov. 13, citing West’s official Web site in its Sept. 19 issue. West’s Web site is currently under construction.

A&O Chairman Peter Kahn declined to comment on if either Common or West would appear at NU.

Common released his most recent, near-platinum album “Be” last spring, and he has drawn attention with his video for the album’s single “Testify.” He is featured on both West’s “Late Registration” album, which reached No. 1 on the Billboard charts, and triple-platinum debut album “College Dropout.”

Scott Arey, facilities director for the athletic department, declined to comment on whether the arena was booked Nov. 13 or Nov. 14 for a concert.

Steven Victor, a representative for Geffen Records, the parent company for West’s and Common’s GOOD Music label, said he could not yet confirm Common was dropping out of the “Touch the Sky” tour.

“He will have to leave the tour to film,” he said.

The MTV.com announcement also appeared on Pitchforkmedia.com and in the Chicago Tribune’s RedEye Wednesday.

A&O has brought many big-name performers to campus in the past including Talib Kweli, Bob Dylan and Ben Folds. Common opened for The Roots at Riviera Theater in April 2004 at a concert organized by A&O.

Reach Amanda Palleschi at

[email protected].