Campus groups kick off fall schedule with high-profile political speakers

Here come the pundits.

Environmental crusader Ralph Nader, former President Bill Clinton’s strategist James Carville and former President George H.W. Bush’s Solicitor General, Kenneth Starr, will all speak at Northwestern in October.

They are being brought to campus by student activist organizations and will address students free of charge.

Carville will speak first, on Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. in Cahn Auditorium, and is being brought to campus by College Democrats. Hailed as one of the world’s top political consultants and campaign managers, Carville was instrumental in former Clinton’s 1992 campaign and has led a slew of other Democratic candidates to victory.

He frequently appears on talk shows and has written several best-selling books.

“Last spring at our general body meeting we took a poll of 50 students and Carville was the top choice of the people we put up for consideration,” said David Rubenstein, vice president of College Democrats. “We wanted someone who was successful, popular, dynamic and engaging, and he fits the bill on all of those.”

One of Carville’s latest books is titled

“- And The Horse He Rode In On: The People V. Kenneth Starr.”

Starr will speak Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. in Coon Forum. Sponsored by College Republicans, Starr will talk about recently confirmed Chief Justice John Roberts and the future of the Supreme Court, said Ben Snyder, the group’s president.

Starr was the Solicitor General under the first President Bush, but is perhaps best known for his role as special prosecutor during the Clinton impeachment. Roberts served under Starr as principal deputy solicitor general.

“As Solicitor General, Ken Starr was the voice of the United States before the Supreme Court,” Snyder said. “If Bush (Sr.) had been re-elected, he would be Supreme Court Justice Ken Starr rather than Special Prosecutor Ken Starr.”

Starr is especially qualified to speak about the high court’s future because of his past with Roberts, Snyder said.

“At one point he was John Roberts’ boss,” he said.

Finally, Ralph Nader will speak Oct. 14 at 7:30 p.m. in Ryan Family Auditorium. A former presidential candidate, Nader gained fame as an advocate for automotive safety, the environment and a variety of other liberal causes.

Students for Ecological and Environmental Development is bringing Nader to campus as their featured fall speaker. According to a Student Activities Finance Board report, SEED was allotted more than $13,000 for a fall speaker.

“He is an expert on the environment and I think he will have some important things to say,” said David Spett, SEED fall speaker chairman. “We are not endorsing him on any political aspects; he is speaking as an authority on environmental issues.”

Over the past few years, student groups have brought several controversial and outspoken political speakers to campus, including Howard Dean, Ann Coulter and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Many student group leaders said they looked forward to the opportunity for a vibrant debate.

“Of course Ken Starr was the leader of the impeachment movement against Bill Clinton and we are not particularly thrilled about him coming,” said College Democrats’ Rubenstein. “However, we want to hear what he has to say.”

Reach Jason B. Gumer at [email protected].