Evanston zoning official resigns due to bureaucracy, reports say

Evanston Zoning Administrator Arthur Alterson resigned in August. While he could could not be reached for comment, previous reports said Alterson felt frustrated with government bureaucracy.

After a July 19 meeting of the Zoning Board of Appeals, Alterson went on leave. Then resigned eight days later.

“He served for a long time in a time when no one could be efficient,” Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said. “He did a good job and I was kind of sorry to see him go.”

Bernstein said the number of cranes and construction projects around Evanston indicates the enormous workload managed by the city’s two zoning officials. Alterson’s resignation leaves Arlova Jackson to do the job alone.

Until the city replaces Alterson, Jackson will continue her job as zoning planner while acting as interim zoning administrator. Jackson said she hopes Evanston can hire a new zoning administrator soon, but knows it could take a while.

“With a position of that high level, it’s hard to find a replacement,” she said.

The job entails interpreting, applying and enforcing the city’s zoning code. The department guides people through zoning appeals, acquiring building permits and hearings before the Evanston City Council.

“It’s a lot of work,” Bernstein said. “I think we’ll probably replace him with multiple people.”

-Elizabeth Gibson