Wesley Avenue residents call for action amid recent move-out
The 23rd annual Chicago Pride Fest features JoJo Siwa, Sapphira Cristál and Bob the Drag Queen
Queering The Map shows queer love on campus
‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Greek-like mystique

Hotrod Manor, 2005 Pratt Court, is a “pretty fun place,” said McCormick senior Brian Bockrath, a resident of the house.

Celebrities such as Fabio, Mitch Hedberg and Dane Cook agree.

“Hotrod Manor, I’ve never been but I hear it’s fucking great,” wrote Cook on one of the autographed posters and photographs around the manor’s bar.

Last year, a group of A&O Productions members and their friends christened their off-campus home “Hotrod Manor,” added the bar and founded the unofficial Frat Frat Social Club — for fun and as a shot at the Greek system.

Hotrod Manor is one of many off-campus houses that students have organized as unique alternatives to traditional Greek life. Students form their own houses based on everything from organized student groups to random themes like Hotrod Manor.

“Freshman year we weren’t really interested in rush,” Bockrath said. “We sort of thought it was unfortunate. So we started Frat Frat Social Club.”

The informal club does not organize events, but does have a group on thefacebook.com with seven members, four of whom live in Hotrod Manor.

Some Northwestern sororities and fraternities also have started unofficial off-campus houses.

Communication senior Maggie Wartik lives at 820 Hamlin St. with 11 fellow Delta Gammas and four members of Delta Tau Delta.

After living in the official DG house last year, the DGs took a while to adjust to taking care of their own meals and cleaning, Wartik said.

But it’s worth the adjustment, she added.

Wartik’s friend, Weinberg senior Vicki Burack, was going to live in the official DG house until she subletted at the unofficial house last summer. Burack decided she liked the house so much that she wanted to stay.

But since there were no more rooms available, Burack put her desk in a common room and her bed in a closet.

“She literally lives in a closet,” Wartik said. “No windows and just room for a bed. So I guess it’s worth living here.”

McCormick sophomore Ted Reynolds, who lives in the “Frisbee house,” 1945 Sherman