10th annual Unity Soccer Festival celebrates diversity, sportsmanship
Four individuals face charges for April’s pro-Palestine encampment

Football: Northwestern embracing realigned conference challenge at Big Ten Media Days

Runoff set in presidential race

Patrick Keenan-Devlin stood by The Arch on Tuesday in the wind and rain from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. With only one 15-minute break for a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich, the Music junior asked as many students as he could for their votes.

The self-proclaimed “underdog” finished on top in Tuesday’s Associated Student Government presidential race. For Keenan-Devlin, it was a commitment to two more days of campaigning in the final head-off between him and current Academic Vice President Prajwal Ciryam.

“This feels good. It really feels good,” said Keenan-Devlin, as about 15 members of his campaign staff celebrated in his apartment Tuesday night. “Now that we are in a runoff, it is time to reach out to the other candidates (for endorsements). I think we can make it.”

Ciryam, the second-highest vote-getter, earned 27.2 percent of students’ votes, 136 fewer than Keenan-Devlin.

While waiting for results, Ciryam talked quietly with four friends in a lounge in the Public Affairs Residential College. He wasn’t surprised when the totals were announced. Similarly, the four candidates knocked out of the race weren’t surprised about their exits.

“The only thing we could hope for tonight is to be in the runoff,” Ciryam said. “It would have been fantastic to have the momentum of being in first place going into the runoff (but) these percentages don’t matter anymore.

“We’ll fight to win this thing.”

KETICA GUTER, 482 VOTES, 15.7%

At the Owen L. Coon Forum, Ketica Guter sat calmly with her cell phone on her lap as she listened to Jonathan Kozol speak about the injustices of urban public education.

As her cell phone vibrated with news of the election results, Guter left the auditorium and learned of her third-place finish in the presidential election with a smile on her face.

“I was willing to step out of the box,” Guter said. “I’m comfortable with the results.”

Although she won’t be able to push for her community-building goals as ASG president, Guter said she still will try to foster community at NU.

“I’m definitely going to work within different avenues at Northwestern,” she said.

RAHUL KALITA, 235 VOTES, 7.7%

Although the news was disappointing for Rahul Kalita, what shocked him more was the percentage.

“I thought I would get at least 700 votes,” he said. Kalita finished the race with 7.7 percent of the votes.

As the polls closed, Kalita said he could have done more campaigning had he lived on campus.

“It’s kind of a letdown, but that’s OK,” Kalita said. “I didn’t realize how hard it would be, but I’m glad I did it.”

BRANDON CONRAD, 163 VOTES, 5.3%

Brandon Conrad spent much of election day sleeping. The presidential hopeful said he didn’t want to spend his last campaign hours running around campus and asking people to vote for him.

Conrad’s nonchalant attitude toward election day was indicative of his campaign, which relied solely on his friends’ word of mouth.