Cats snap streak

With the Wildcats’ dual match against Minnesota tied at three team points, senior Chuck Perrin found himself playing in the final and deciding match of the day.

Perrin had won the first set 6-3, but then dropped a close second set 7-6. With the match on the line, he was able to defeat his opponent 6-4 and clinch the dual match for the Cats to snap their seven-match road losing streak.

“He doesn’t get rattled,” said coach Paul Torricelli. “Chuck was the last guy on the court to win a match. He won the deciding point. Chuck came through for us.”

The Cats (9-10, 4-3 Big Ten) squeaked by Minnesota (6-10, 3-3) on Saturday and defeated Iowa (9-8, 1-5) easily on Sunday to move into sixth place in the conference.

After playing back-to-back away matches in as many weekends, Torricelli said NU’s recent road woes were just as tough on the coaches as they were on the players.

NU’s seven-match road losing streak dated back to a Feb. 6 match against Harvard.

“It’s always good to win,” Torricelli said. “That losing streak was very tough on us.”

With his key win against Minnesota and another victory at Iowa, Perrin has now won four out of his last five contests.

“I think the biggest thing is I’ve got my confidence back,” Perrin said. “As my confidence increased my results were better as well.”

Perrin also said battling back from injuries he suffered earlier in the season and becoming healthier has helped him win.

“Chuck always competes well,” Torricelli said. “It’s a function of experience as much as anything.”

In doubles, Perrin and his partner, senior Tommy Hanus, won both of their matches over the weekend, extending their winning streak to five.

“We’ve played together before. Everyone on the team knows each other’s game pretty well,” Perrin said. “If we play well the opportunities will be there.”

Sophomore Willy Lock also was victorious in both of his singles matches this weekend, winning in straight sets and recording his 10th and 11th dual match wins.

Torricelli said Lock has had success this season because he has settled into his own style. Lock is very tough to play against, and his strength is his ability to use the entire court, Torricelli said.

“He’s a great No. 4 player,” Torricelli said.

In singles play, sophomore Matt Christian won both of his matches in straight sets over the weekend. Tommy Hanus and sophomore Christian Tempke split their contests, both winning in straight sets against Iowa.

The doubles pair of Lock and Tempke won their match against Minnesota but fell just short in Iowa. Senior Justin Hoeveler and junior Adam Schaechterle also dropped a tight match in Iowa, falling to a duo including Schaechterle’s twin brother, Aaron.

Reach Jason Prager at [email protected].