ASG to vote on adding senator to selection committee

Associated Student Government senators will vote tonight on a bill adding a student group senator to the financial vice president selection committee.

“I’ve been calling each of the senators, explaining the merits of the amendment and to find more co-authors,” said Executive Vice President Howard W. Buffett, who co-authored the amendment. “So far we have about 90 names and we will probably end up with 100 co-authors.”

Besides current senators, co-authors of the bill include past and present student group presidents and senators, said Buffett, a Communication junior.

After looking at the number of current senators who are also co-authors of the amendment, he is hopeful that it will pass, Buffett said.

“The amendment is aimed primarily at helping student groups,” he said. “Every student group senator should vote for (the legislation) and other senators should vote for it as well.”

Senators will also vote tonight on two academic bills. The first bill proposes a student survey about the Office of the Registrar’s decision to stop printing course schedules. A second bill will organize feedback from both students and professors to provide a more user-friendly Course and Teacher Evaluation Council system.

Senators also will hear a proposal asking Northwestern to accommodate inflation in the amount of money provided for American Disabilities Act compliance projects. Since 1998, NU has given $500,000 each year for these projects but has not adjusted amount for inflation.

“The biggest problem is the funds are not kept up-to-date with inflation,” said Alex Lurie, student services vice president. “We owe it to our fellow students to make sure they excel.”

Lurie, a Communication junior, also said the bill passed unanimously through the student services and academic committees.

“Accessibility on campus is a priority, and we want to share this responsibility with administrators,” he said.

Reach Jason Prager at [email protected].