Weinberg junior robbed, assaulted

A Weinberg junior was assaulted and robbed early Friday near the intersection of Ridge Avenue and Garnett Place, police said.The 20-year-old male student was walking north on the 1900 block of Ridge Avenue at about 1:25 a.m. when he was approached by two men, said Cmdr. Joe Bellino of the Evanston Police
Department. The men tackled the student to the ground and punched him four to five times in the face, Bellino said.
The victim, who did not wish to be identified, told The Daily he was walking home from a friend's house when one man approached him from behind while the other "just started
whopping me in the face."
They stole the victim's black leather wallet, which contained $400 in cash, a credit card and driver's license before running east on Foster Street, Bellino said. The victim was unable to give police a physical description of the
offenders, he said. He told The Daily the men looked like they were about 20 or 21 years old.
According to police reports, the victim appeared to be intoxicated and had a swollen left eye after the robbery. He told The Daily he "had a few drinks" and had to be hospitalized
overnight after being assaulted.
"It's kind of a wake-up call," the student said. "This never happened to me before. This never happened to anyone I know."
Officers from both EPD and University Police searched the area after the robbery but did not locate the two men, Bellino said.
The robbery was the third one involving a student this quarter. On Oct. 16, a Medill senior was robbed at gunpoint at about 4:30 a.m. at Ridge and Emerson
Street, a block south of the latest incident.
On Sept.15, a Weinberg senior punched a man who tried to rob him on Orrington Avenue.
Reach Alison Knezevich at [email protected].