News Brief

A judge will decide next month whether or not the case of Communication freshman Jaime Alexander Saide will go to trial, according to his lawyer.

On Monday, Saide, nicknamed Xander, had a pre-trial hearing at the Cook County Circuit Court in Skokie. The judge continued the case to June 2.

Barry Spector, Saide’s lawyer, said the June 2 hearing will be the final status hearing. There the case either will be resolved by making an agreement with the prosecution or the judge will send it to trial.

The discovery stage of the trial, in which both sides collect and examine evidence, has been completed, Spector said.

Saide pleaded innocent in February to two counts of felony disorderly conduct. If convicted, he could face both fines and prison time.

He was arrested by Evanston Police Department officers on Nov. 17, 2003, on charges that he fabricated two hate crime incidents. In November, Saide told police he found the words, “Die Spic” on a poster and wall near his dorm room in Chapin Hall.

Four days later, he said someone held him at knife point and said, “Spic, we didn’t run away this time.”

Saide’s claims of hate crimes, which accompanied a series of other hate crime incidents on campus, sparked a “Stop the Hate” campaign.

The campaign included a Nov. 12 rally where Saide addressed a crowd of 500 students and faculty at The Rock.

At a press conference in November, Chief Frank Kaminski of EPD said Saide fabricated the crimes “to bring attention to himself and his cause.”

Spector said he hopes the case will not go to trial.

“We’re hopeful to resolve it on (June 2),” Spector said.

If the case does go to trial, it likely will begin this summer, Spector said.

Saide now is living with his mother in Arnes, Iowa.