Jazz group critiques students’ music, plays its own

Jazz lovers tapped their feet Saturday to the beat of an evening concert by the Chicago Jazz Ensemble at Evanston Township High School.

The evening’s concert, part of the school’s first annual jazz festival, featured conductor and acclaimed saxophonist Joe Lovano.

“(Jazz is) America’s indigenous art form,” said Scott Hall, Chicago Jazz Ensemble interim music director. “It allows musicians a lot of freedom. It encompasses influences from all around the world.”

Although the Chicago Jazz Ensemble has collaborated with the high school in the past for educational outreach programs, Saturday’s concert marked the first time the band has performed at ETHS, 1600 Dodge Ave.

In addition to performing, the band spent the day listening to and critiquing music from high school jazz bands from around the region. The all-day event was held in the ETHS auditorium and was free to the public.

During the festival, 16 bands from 10 area high schools performed for members of the Chicago Jazz Ensemble, who acted as informal judges and commentators. The musicians gave each band feedback and advice. Students also attended clinics throughout the day.

The two-hour Chicago Jazz Ensemble performance Saturday night cost $25 per ticket and drew an audience of more than 300 people. All proceeds benefited the Chicago Jazz Ensemble, a not-for-profit arts organization in residence at Columbia College Chicago.

The concert started at 7:30 p.m. with an opening set by the ETHS Jazz Ensemble. The ensemble, conducted by music director David Fodor, played four songs. The Chicago Jazz Ensemble began its set at 8:20 p.m.

“This has been one of my dreams, to run a band like this,” Lovano said after the opening number. “This is one of the finest bands on the scene today.”

Lovano said it is important to support students in music and thanked the ETHS Jazz Ensemble for its “fantastic set.”

Co-sponsored by Columbia College Chicago, DownBeat magazine and the Chicago Jazz Ensemble, the concert featured original jazz by Lovano, as well as the music of composers Tadd Dameron, Woody Herman and Thad Jones. The 19-member ensemble performed 11 songs. Special guest Judy Silvano sang on two of the numbers.

Kat Ryan, Chicago Jazz Ensemble marketing and promotions assistant, said the band hopes to cultivate student appreciation for the arts.

“Music in general is important, especially to students,” she said. “It’s tied into the curriculum, and it’s important to have a well-rounded, artistic education.”

Lisa Rosenthal, wife of Chicago Jazz Ensemble baritone and clarinet player Ted Hogarth, said she felt the show at ETHS was better than usual.

“I’ve heard the band play dozens of times over the years, and they sound more alive tonight than ever before,” said Rosenthal. “Joe (Lovano) plays with such joy. That was some of the most amazing music I’ve ever heard.”

Saturday’s performance marked the fourth of a five-concert series with Lovano. The band’s final performance was Sunday at Chicago’s Athenaeum Theatre, 2936 N. Southport Ave.

Donnie Bungum, a junior at Main South High School in Park Ridge, Ill., played the saxophone with his school’s jazz band during the afternoon festival. He said the Chicago Jazz Ensemble judges gave the band positive feedback and were friendly and helpful.

“We had a great time,” said Bungum, 17. “We came out of our shell. It was the best we’ve performed on many songs. Our judges said we had a nice wall of sound. It was a good learning experience for the band as a whole.”

Hall, the jazz ensemble’s interim director said he would like the band to return to ETHS for concerts in future years.

“We want to hopefully have a home here once a year,” Hall said. “This is exactly what I hoped would happen. It’s a collaboration that we hope will continue for many, many years.”