Safety issues top ASG slate; Tisdahl may attend

The Associated Student Government will hold its last meeting of the quarter tonight, but activities haven’t wound down just yet.

With the likelihood of the Seventh Ward expanding to include four South Campus dorms, ASG has asked the ward’s alderman, Elizabeth Tisdahl, to attend the meeting. External Relations Chairwoman Jane Lee said she hopes students will discuss their concerns with Tisdahl.

“It’s just a way for students to foster a better relationship with the city — especially in a place where there’s been a few safety concerns,” said Lee, a Weinberg junior.

Also at the meeting, the Safety Subcommittee of the Student Services Committee will introduce two new safety bills. One could create a safety Web site that would include information about transportation and give students an opportunity to report incidents to the correct officials.

“This is something we can do fast that will help a lot of people,” said off-campus Sen. Adam Forsyth, an author of the bill.

The other bill asks the Evanston City Council to initiate a timely plan to improve street lighting. The city already has started the plan, Forsyth said, but supply problems have slowed the process.

Because tonight is the last meeting, Forsyth said the committee will motion to make both bills “emergency” — meaning senators will vote on them tonight instead of waiting until classes resume after Winter Break.

“If there are continuing attacks, this is not something that should wait,” said Forsyth, a Weinberg junior. “If knowing the shuttle routes and times could prevent one student from being attacked, then it’s absolutely worth it to make that information immediately available.”

In related action, senators also will vote on a personal alarm bill introduced last week by former sorority Sen. Christina Appleton. The bill calls for the administration to purchase at least 1,000 keychain-sized personal alarms at about $6 each and distribute them to students for free.

The alarms reach a sound of 138 decibels to alert police and bystanders of an attack.

In other business, updates will be given on two previously passed bills that created student opinion polls on summer financial aid and the U-Pass program.

The financial aid poll was posted Sunday on HereAndNow and will run until Nov. 22. Poll results will not be available until then, said ASG’s academic vice president, Prajwal Ciryam.

Andrew Proksel, a member of the Academic Committee, said financial aid for Summer Session would be a priority next quarter.

“The summer is the only period when students have free reign over what to do with their lives,” said Proksel, a Weinberg sophomore. “They shouldn’t be stopped (by financial problems).”

Later in the meeting, the Executive Committee and Student Activities Finance Board will announce the results of their hearings against the Objectivist Club and College Republicans.

Both groups were under scrutiny after an affirmative action “bake sale” on Oct. 31.

ASG Executive Vice President Bryan Tolles would not disclose the committee’s decision. He said the Objectivist Club — an ASG-recognized group that does not receive funding from the Student Activities Fee — was judged according to the student handbook, university charter rules and ASG guidelines.

ASG Financial Vice President Erica Williamson, who presided over the financial misconduct hearing for College Republicans, which does receive student funding, could not be reached for comment.

Tonight’s meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Northwestern Room of Norris University Center and is open to the NU community.