Freshmen wrestlers ready for 1st meet

The Northwestern wrestling team will meet up with Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin this weekend at the Michigan State Open in East Lansing, Mich.

The Wildcats’ first meet of the year will be a two day event that includes more than 350 wrestlers.

The squad graduated several top wrestlers from last season — notably John Giacche, who is now an NU assistant coach — but welcomes an impressive freshman class.

Among the five freshman on the roster are Nick Hayes, the 2003 Iowa state champion at 152 pounds, and Ryan Lang and Jake Herbert, both of whom finished in the top five nationally last year as high school seniors. Other top returners are sophomore John Velez and junior Tommy Vargas, who will return at 125 lbs. and 133 lbs., respectively.

Velez finished with a 19-20 record last year, which put him in the top-10 nationally among freshmen at 125 pounds. Vargas, moving up a weight class from 125 to 133 pounds this season, will look to build on last year’s 13-14 record.

Fencing

After a strong showing at the Ohio State Duals last week, NU fencers will try to carry their momentum into the Junior World Cup in Louisville, Ky.

The Wildcats will compete unattached at the tournament, which is sponsored by the International Fencing Association and will showcase the best under-20 fencers from around the world.

“(This tournament) is a great opportunity for the team,” head coach Laurie Schiller said. “It is a chance to test themselves against the best.”

Some of the best include NU fencers, too. Last year Julia F