ASG prepares for new year by setting lists of priorities

Though Associated Student Government did not hold its customary Wednesday meeting this week, officers plan to dive head first into this year by following up on last year’s projects and laying the groundwork for new ones.

Goals for this year include furthering the hate crimes task force, choosing speakers for the Alumni Speakers series, finding alternatives to dissection and improving communication between Northwestern and Evanston.

ASG President Mike Fong noted that ASG will focus on issues important to students this year and a take a circumspect approach to setting their priorities.

“Instead of jumping right into the specific issues, we want to … find out what matters to students,” said Fong, a Weinberg senior.

Although ASG will address issues generated by students, officers have still placed a high priority on following up with last year’s projects. Officers plan to follow through with legislation co-written by For Members Only coordinator Tracy Carson that called for ASG to create a hate crimes task force. The legislation followed incidences of racial epithets found in student residences last Winter and Spring quarters. The hate crimes task force has met recently with the administration and is preparing a status report for late October.

Carson, a Weinberg senior, said she was pleased with the progress of the initiative. “I have so much faith in this task force,” she said.

ASG is also paring down the list of possible Alumni Series guest speakers. Campus Public Relations Chairwoman Noora Lori said that unlike last year’s guests — David Schwimmmer and Ana Gasteyer — the speakers will come from professions other than acting.

“It’s not going to be just theater people or people with celebrity status,” said Lori, a Weinberg sophomore. “The whole point is for people to legitimately learn something from Northwestern graduates who have made it in their field.”

In response to discussion last year about finding alternatives to dissection, Academic Vice President Prajwal Ciryam hopes to increase awareness about students’ options.

“We’re hoping that the biology department policy, which is in support of dissection alternatives, can be published in a place where all students have access to it,” said Ciryam, a Weinberg sophomore.

Executive Vice President Bryan Tolles said a crash on the ASG server hampered him from being productive over the summer, although he has recently been coordinating the Campus Activities Fair and a student groups directory.

ASG hopes to improve relations with local businesses and Evanston City Council through communication and participation in local affairs. External Relations Chairwoman Jane Lee spent her summer researching the redistricting issue and coordinating Big Bite Night, in which Evanston restaurants provide free samples to NU students. Lee said such community events can lessen the strain between the university and city by allowing NU students to be ambassadors of the school.

“There is tension between members of the city council and the administration,” said Lee, a Weinberg junior. “Students get the channeled anger that they don’t deserve.”

Tamara Kagel, ASG student services vice president, said coordination between city officials and the university is necessary for increasing off-campus lighting.

“My goals are really going to fall under diversity, community and safety,” said Kagel, a Communication senior. Over the summer, she worked with city officials to discuss off-campus lighting and with NU administrators to discuss increasing usage of multicultural programs.

Fong expressed optimism for this year’s board, “This year we hope to increase the cohesiveness from a personal perspective and professional perspective.”